What's new

Time Schedule and Blocking Sites

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jkbmjp

Regular Contributor
I am trying out the Nighthawk R8000 router and I am comparing its features to Linksys and Asus routers. The router has the latest firmware version. I have a few questions about using the Nighthawk router. I am, more less, confused about some of the features such as time scheduling and blocking sites. Also, I don't understand the purpose of OpenDNS if I can block most sites on the router itself. I am sure that OpenDNS provides more restrictions and offers a variety of categories.

1. How do I block a site such as Facebook on individual device? I don't want to block it from other family members but I want to block it on individual devices. I have tried OpenDNS by using the Live Parental Controls and setting the filter level to what I like. Also, I tried to block the site on the router itself from preventing both an iPod and Macbook from accessing Facebook. Both the iPod and laptop let Facebook come up. I have tried to block Youtube on the router and OpenDNS with the same result. I can, still, access the site on my iPod and laptop.

2. How do I set a time schedule on individual devices? I know you can set the wireless radios to go off at a specific time. I don't want to turn off or disable the wireless to go off at a specific time, I just want to block a device from accessing the internet at specific times like 8pm to 9am.

I like the Nighthawk router but I need to work through some of these issues such as time scheduling and being able to block sites to individual devices. Perhaps, someone can offer some suggestion on what I am doing wrong and explain some things.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!