What's new

Time to replace R7000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jkap

New Around Here
In the past 2 years the R7000 has had significant vulnerabilities exposed. I understand it is largely due to the popularity of the device. That being said I've got a nagging feeling that it's time to upgrade.

I live in an apartment and am a casual gamer and heavy streamer. We have about 10 devices. I have Xfinity 250/?. I can't run any drops and don't like Powerline devices so wireless is a must. My 2 biggest concerns are speed and security. What are your suggestions?

Also,

1. Why are Revision 9 and Revision 10 rankers so different?
2. Is WPA3 right around the corner and is it hardware specific or will manufacturers release firmware updates to add it?

I can't speak to your specific questions, but I just replaced my R7000 (which had some DHCP issues and openvpn problems) and poor WiFi caused by firmware updates with an asus rt-ac86u and I'm thrilled. It's faster and I like the GUI much better.

In the past 2 years the R7000 has had significant vulnerabilities exposed. I understand it is largely due to the popularity of the device. That being said I've got a nagging feeling that it's time to upgrade.

I live in an apartment and am a casual gamer and heavy streamer. We have about 10 devices. I have Xfinity 250/?. I can't run any drops and don't like Powerline devices so wireless is a must. My 2 biggest concerns are speed and security. What are your suggestions?

Also,

1. Why are Revision 9 and Revision 10 rankers so different?
2. Is WPA3 right around the corner and is it hardware specific or will manufacturers release firmware updates to add it?

Asus RT-AC86U, if you want to remain on stock software.

Netgear R7800 with LEDE/OpenWRT otherwise. This configuration has advanced traffic management.

WPA3 is anything but "around the corner", Qualcomm only just made a recent announcement for their chips.

Netgear seems to still be releasing new firmwares for this model with security fixes, so if your only concern is security, it may not be that bad. You could also switch to a third party firmware which would have a more rapid development cycle if you want to put in the effort.