What's new

TL-WDR3600 and Online Gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beowulfcav

New Around Here
I've just gotten this router on sale at Newegg, and got it set up fairly easily. Upgraded it to the latest firmware TP-Link has released for it and it works well for general use, but when I try to play Planetside 2 I seem to get issues I didn't get with my old Belkin Wireless G+. Some times I get large lag spikes and slow downs, then the game quickly speeds up to catch up with all the events that had transpired while the lag spike happened. I also get weird stuttering and cut ups in voice chat in the game. I find it strange that a beefier stronger and faster router can't seem to handle traffic from a game that a cheap Belkin router could. Any ideas on solutions? Should I return and get something else? Is there more information I could post that would help?

Adapter is also an old Belkin Wireless G. But similar slowdowns happened to friend's Wireless N (intel) while playing Warhammer Online.

Are you using the same channel as before? Same SSID? Same encryption mode?

Is your client device/game connecting to YOUR WiFi/SSID and not a neighbor's?

Signal strength good?

Ensure router is configured to not permit WiFi 40MHz mode, if it has that mode.

Last ditch: try to config router to be "11g only", no 11n. See what happens. ALso look for "mixed mode" setting in the router for 11g/n mix.

Thank you for the reply.

Well after much tweaking and google searching I might have come up with a solution.

Made sure security was set to WPA2/PSK instead of auto
Changed channel to 6 since 1 is crowded by neighbors (who I cant see on inSSIder on my pc but on a friend's with a much better adapter)
Used bandwidth allocation feature to split the bandwidth evenly across the 3 PCs that use my router.
Assigned each pc a reserved IP on the DHCP tab to do so.

Logged on the Planetside 2 using Wireless G adapter, signal strength -66dBm usually, and I played for a few hours with great performance. I'll try again tomorrow just to make sure but I seem to have found the solution in there somewhere.