What's new

Tomato Shibby for ARM devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ozgurcnbyz

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,
I am blown away by the performance and stability of this firmware.(tomato AIO 123) I was very close to ditching my rt-ac68u for an airport extreme even though i am very much aware of the fact that they underperform. The reason is simple. I realised that i'd been spending more time on getting this damn thing to operate than spending time on the internet or doing other things that requires network connectivity. Last couple of firmware releases (both stock and merlin) had been nothing but nightmare for me. My wireless clients was losing connectivity to the router quite often. when they maintained connectivity the performance had never satisfying. today i decided i should give tomato a chance before actually ordering a new router. to be honest setup was not smooth. I had to reset twice and clear nvram couple of times before being able to access the webgui (don't really know what went wrong there) . The gui btw is fantastic. Learning curve wasn't as steep as i thought it'd be. I didn't want to play with much settings initially so i pretty much left everything default. I copied my dnsmasq entries and setup wireless and wan connection. I've also decided to be patient about this firmware and not jump to conclusions soon so i started testing apple tv which had caused serious headaches for the last couple of months. wooow. streaming netflix and iTunes HD movies has never been this fast. It used to take atleast 15 seconds before streaming started. now its almost instant. I get 4300 kbps in the bitrate test of netflix (never got more than 3000 with other fw). I have this app called beamer on my macbook pro retina which allows you to stream any type of movie file to apple tv. Smaller files always worked great but i used to have problems with the larger ones. With tomato shibby , however i blatantly streamed a 1080p mkv file while i was downloading a torrent file on the same computer and doing other stuff at the same time (copying files from usb drive over the network , airplay music to airport express , play youtube on chromecast) no glitch whatsoever. performance was awesome. range wise theres no really big difference. but tomato has been more stable in my case. apple tv for instance was switching between 3 or 4 bars. now its constantly 4 bars.
the most important thing for me was the fact that none of my devices lost connectivity.
all in all. you gotta try this firmware.

Does VLAN tagging work for you on Tomato shibby and ARM devices?
Because when I tried it several moths ago on my RT-AC56U it didn't

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!