What's new

Tomato Shibby for multi-SSID/VLAN support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MJMcMahon

Occasional Visitor
Hi all -

apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I examined the Tomato thread but it was severely out of date so I wasn't sure whether my question would be answered or relevant.

In short, I want to use a specific VLAN for the Guest network to isolate it from the remainder of the network. Since I only received the router yesterday, I'm a bit hesitant to flash it and take the chance of bricking the router. Tomato Shibby is the recommended solution, but how stable is it? How serious is the risk of bricking the router if I closely follow the "How To"?

I've seen that it's possible to assign a VLAN using the command line, but have been unable to locate a command reference. Link?

Thanks all!

Mike

Last edited:
Which router are you talking about?

I am pretty sure the stock Asus firmware (and almost 100% positive the RMerlin firmware if it's a supported Asus product) can do guest vlan's; a thread was made just recently for this.

I should be more clear: guest vlans possible with some coding...

Still don't know the router you're using though.

Asus routers are pretty hard to brick. They have a recovery mode and Asus has a firmware restoration utility in case things go wrong. They are pretty much made to tinker with. Its not like the old Linksys days where one wrong move and its all over but the crying.

Thx guys - the router in question is an RT-N66U. The upgrade to the Tomato Shibby firmware went through without a hitch. I'd tried to determine how to use the stock firmware to accomplish the same goal but was unable to locate any reference for the command line which, from what I understood, was the only way to assign separate VLANs to the primary and secondary WLANs.

That said, the Shibby product was as advertised: stable and very well featured.

Thanks to all that took the time to respond.

Mike

Ran into an oddity with Shibby earlier tonight and I'm hoping that some of the posters here may have seen it and can provide some input on how to address the issue.

Here's the setup:

my RT-N66U is functioning as a WAP with a connection to the remainder of my LAN via the WAN port. I have two VLANs configured on the device (100 and 101), one for the regular WAP, the second for a Guest wireless that does not have access to the LAN. The ACLs, DHCP, and intervlan routing are managed from a Cisco 1841 that serves as my edge router.

The issue was that, for a period of time earlier tonight, I could not connect to the Guest Wireless AP for further testing after making some ACL changes. Even after I backed out the ACL changes, I could not connect until I changed the Guest AP to use no security. Once I was able to establish the connection, I went back and re-enabled the ACLs that had changed (one that blocks traffic from the Guest Wireless to the LAN) and was still able to connect normally.

Admittedly, my configuration is somewhat complex, but I was really confused. I'd been able to access the guest wireless normally after setting it up last night and had been able to connect, access the internet, etc. Any suggestions?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!