What's new

too many options, Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

truthbetold

New Around Here
Hi I've read through a lot of stuff on the site, but am still having difficulty determining what I need.

The current devices using the network:
2 macbooks (mid 2009, 802.11 a/b/g/n)
1 desktop w/ ethernet (not gigabit currently)
iphones

Future devices:
streaming media to tv (need 5 ghz? perhaps apple tv, or other device)
printer (wireless vs usb, not sure yet)
some kind of NAS (maybe)
a new macbook pro

I had considered just getting an apple airport extreme, but quickly realize it is overpriced and also lacking in features (QoS and SPI, for ex).

Is Linksys E2500 or Dlink DIR-655 sufficient to keep price down?

Or is there a better option that will allow for future expansion? The ASUS? or Linksys E3200? Are these worth the extra $50?

Where should I throw down the cash?

Thanks!!

sorry for multiple posts, here.

upon further reading it sounds like the dual band might be worth it since i am in nyc (with lots of other networks around) + will be using iphone on wifi at times. but still not sure about AEBS vs others.

Keep in mind that 5 GHz won't go as far as 2.4 GHz. But if your apartment is small, it may be worth a shot.

I'd give the Cisco Linksys E4200 or NETGEAR WNDR4000 a shot. Buy from Amazon and you can return within 30 days with no restock (assuming you keep all packaging and return everything as you got it).

Or buy a refurbed E4200 direct from Cisco for $120, free shipping and 30 day return policy.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!