What's new

Too much info, please help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lladna

New Around Here
I am looking for new fast wireless router that will cover our 3,000 sqft house (2 stories). We have 2 laptops (Windows), 2 iphones, 1 ipad, and a Blu-ray that is internet capable.
I am just looking for a fast and good range router to replace our WRT54G2. I have read too much, and just can't figure out which way to go. Although, I am in the process of returning a Linksys EA2700, because it was much SLOWER than the WRT54G2.

Asus, NetGear,...please help!
Thanks.
--David

3K sq ft. 2 stories.

You'll need a commonplace WiFi router, under $100, and one or two access points (AP) to get good signal strengths both directions - and that leads to good speeds. No magic in just one WiFi router for all that space.

Access points (AP) can be purchased as APs, though they are more costly than re-purposing a modest WiFi router to be an AP. You put the AP(s) in the most distant parts of the home, relative to the WiFi router's location, which ideally is centrally located in the most lived-in area.

So how to connect APs to the router?
1. cat5 cable - that may not be in place now from AP location to where router will go
2. AP connects to router via a device pair called HomePlug. These move the data through the home AC power outlet wiring.
3. Same as 2, but uses TV coax already in the walls at the two places. This is called MoCA.

RE 2 and 3 - see the section by that name in this forum.

We'll be glad to help.

Thanks for the reply. So can I use the wrt54g2 as the Ap. I do have cat5 in farthest point (master bed). So that would work!

So is asus n56u going to be one of the best for what I'm looking for? Or are there better options? I was hoping for a guest access or multiple ssid option.

Thanks again for the guidance.