What's new

Topology question?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BuddyRich

New Around Here
I recently moved and am contemplating a multi-router setup to avoid running wires in the new home and I am not sure how I should go.

Right now I have a cable modem and wdr3700v1 serving inet everywhere. The cable guy basically installed the modem in the laundry room which does no one any good. lets call that location 1.

not far away, about 5m and on the same level though through walls that are only finished with paneling I have a 20Tb file server that used to be hooked up via gbe. This plays media to a locally attached tv but also serves 2 other pcs in the house. Lets call this location 2. No wifi device at present.

Pc1 is located about 10 meters from location 1 and 15m from location 2. It is 1/2 a level above loc1 and 2. This is my pc and I usually transfer media from it to the server at location 2. My bluray drive is in it so usually it's 20-30gb files that I write directly to a network share on the file server while it rips. This was also on gbe. Call this loc 3. No wifi device at present.

Finally the wife's pc is 1.5 levels above loc 1 and 2. And 1 level above 3. She basically connects to the Internet though does access docs and photos on the server. Call this location 4. She has a wifi n adapter.

I was thing of just adding 2 rtn66u to loc2 and 3 but am concerned about perf between loc2 and 3. Specifically would LAN traffic between 2 and 3 be routed through the slower loc1 or will they talk directly to each other?

Extending Network

If your house is newer construction (dry wall ) and you have a basement or crawl space below it would be about the same cost to have an electrician run several Ethernet drops and do wall fishes as the cost of buying a couple of N66Us. Your performance would also be better since you seem interested in streaming videos across your LAN.

If you still don't want to run wires look at Ethernet over powerline. Less expensive than WiFi and in most situations better performance than WiFi.

By using wireless repeaters you cut your bandwidth in half which could be a killer if you are streaming uncompressed video.

Not multi-router.
Any network: One router.

To enhance coverage, use Access Points (AP)s. They do not route. APs connect to a router. Via cat5 cable or IP over power wires like HomePlug, IP over existing TV coax as in MoCA. There is a forum for those here.

WDS (repeaters, a.k.a. Range Extenders) are to be avoided.

There's a FAQ / tutorial on this site on these topics.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's an older house and finished so to install wires would be a pain. I may be able to get a wire from the wdr3700 to the server as its only paneling but the house is a split level that makes for 4 effective half floors. With 1 and 3 on one side and 2 and 4 on another.

I should have been more specific, one router at the Inet source and the others as bridges or APs, probably not ideal for my use but...

Ethernet

Before ending up with a network that really doesn't work for you talk to a skilled electrician who is familiar with your area and has a talent for doing wall fishes. I lived in a two story home built in 1908 with plaster and lath construction. He was able to run a new circuit from a finished attic room to the service panel in the basement with no difficulty. You would be surprised what can be done with experience and the right tools.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's an older house and finished so to install wires would be a pain. I may be able to get a wire from the wdr3700 to the server as its only paneling but the house is a split level that makes for 4 effective half floors. With 1 and 3 on one side and 2 and 4 on another.

I should have been more specific, one router at the Inet source and the others as bridges or APs, probably not ideal for my use but...

The suggestions on MoCA and HomePlue/IP on power wiring - use what exists.

A router that's repurposed as an AP is indeed functionally an AP, as it doesn't route. Just jargon. But it's important to not use the WAN port on re-purposed routers.