What's new

TP-LINK Archer C7 V1 and V2 side by side

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tilhasbb

Regular Contributor
I have Both V1 and V2 side by side with me for the next few days. I don't see a difference, they both seem to be stable with my Apple products with the new firmware.

Anyone want me to do any tests with them?

I have a Dell system with the new Intel 7260-AC and I connect at 866Mhz on the 5Ghz band on both V1 and V2 without any issues. Range Sucks compared to 2.4Ghz.
I have a Dell with Intel b/g/n 5300
Macbook Air 2012
Apple iPad Mini Retina
Apple iPhone 5
Apple iPhone 4

All working fine.

http://imgur.com/qHl8FI4

Last edited:
Thanks for offering to help out.

I have been considering this router (along with several others!) but was put off by the reports on the TP Link forums About problems with apple devices not being recognised or being kicked off / disconnected .

http://forum.tp-link.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Dual-Band-Wireless-Routers

Can you watch YouTube videos? Some people complained they hang at 10 secs.

Also, what's the range and signal strength like on 2.4 ghz? The C7 has internal antennas for this band but I need a strong signal on this as most of my devices run on it.

External antennas seem better according to this:-

"A key performance figure in determining how well input power is amplified is called gain, a measurement of an antenna’s efficiency and directivity. This gain in decibles is called antenna gain and is expressed in dBi. Access point internal antennas usually carry signal gains of 1-1.5 dBi, while external antennas typically carry gains of 2-5 dBi. A 3 dBi gain advantage from external antennas represents double the transmit power, so the performance increase from external antennas can be quite significant. Some products include high-gain antennas that offer even larger dBi gains."

Source:- http://www.lmi.net/wp-content/uploads/Optimizing_802.11n.pdf

Any other differences between the two?

Also which firmware are you using?

Lastly which one will you keep (if any)?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not as bad as people say.

Specially with the latest firmware I have no issues on Mac's iPhones etc.
Only issue I had was when I was playing games like World Of Warcraft I would get some latency issues then back to Normal. Or If I'm doing a huge file transfer it would freeze.

Don't have any of these issues with the latest firmware.

As for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The range on the 5Ghz compare to 2.4Ghz is shirt but that's not the router's fault, 5Ghz just has lower range.

2.4Ghz V1 vs V2. V1 is a little bit stronger.
5Ghz V1 vs V2. V2 is a little big stronger.

I'll do some tests for Range/Speed Side by Side.

Any other tests you want?

Thanks very much…

Was going to get the C7 but found the "doesn't work well with Apple" reports on the TP Link Forum so went the other way and got a TP Link 841HP - which works really well most of the time.

Once or twice a week I get freezing when streaming Youtube videos through the Apple TV which sucks … but other than that it works fine and can simultaneously work on several devices at the same time.

Can you test the signal strength on the two bands? And Link/Transmit speed to iMac or MacBook?

The 2.4Ghz band is actually a bit BETTER on the V1, despite the V2 having 3 additional antennas (apparently specifically for that reason)?

Having read the 2.4Ghz attenuation benchmarks here on the V1 (or what I assume was the V1 given the date it was done) that pretty much rules out the V2.

Last edited:
Tests
Sagecom ADSL2 Model Connected to Port 1
WD My Book Live Connected to Port 3
Laptop Dell Latitude E6430 with Intel 7260-AC Card 2x2
Each test ran 3 times to insure results are within 10Mbps

TP-Link Router. Everthing turned off including DHCP, NAT, Firewall, etc. All wireless devices have been shut off.

V1 Toz 2.4Ghz @ Channel 6
V1 Toz 5 Ghz @ Channel 40

DO NOT GET V2!

Attachments

• V1 - 2.4Ghz  25FT .jpg
    V1 - 2.4Ghz 25FT .jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,662
  • V1 - 5Ghz  25FT .jpg
    V1 - 5Ghz 25FT .jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,402
  • results.png
    results.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 2,470
  • Photo 5-10-2014, 11 23 48 AM.jpg
    Photo 5-10-2014, 11 23 48 AM.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,718
Thanks for the tests, tilhasbb. I guess I'm lucky having the V1 model :)

I'm still confused.

According to all of the published literature I can find, the V2 has 6 antennas, not 3.

I trust that you're telling the truth and it's actually a V2, which makes me trust TP-Link even less.

Can these routers do Access Point mode where the WAN port becomes a 5th LAN port? Either with stock or some custom firmware would be fine.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!