What's new

TP-Link Archer C7 WDR7500 Slow on 802.11n 2.4GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scaryshark

New Around Here
I recently bought the Archer C7, so far the performance is very good on 5GHz and 802.11ac and it's stable however the 2.4GHZ performance is very poor.

Maximum WAN speeds (speed test to my ISP's servers which can reach 152Mbps wired) reach only 30Mbps on 2.4GHz. This is so poor that I've disabled the 2.4GHz band and I am using another router for that instead where I can easily get 80Mbps+.

The culprit seems to be that the only choices in the wireless configuration is b/g/n mixed or b/g. If TP-Link updated their firmware to be able to change the configuration I'm sure it will fix the problem and many people will be happy.

Also a little annoyed that the 5GHz channel only operates on 20MHz width - if they also allowed us to change that the poor 5GHz range issue will also probably be gone.

Also, I have the V2 model (still only 3 external antenna) so no Open/DDWRT available :(

There does seem to be a newer version for that hardware revision on the TP-Link Korean website http://www.tp-link.co.kr/support/download/?model=Archer+C7&version=V2 but it doesn't chnage much... and it's in Korean whic is a little inconvinient.

AFAIK the only difference between the V1 and V2 is the RAM but V1 firmware cannot be applied and openwrt is missing 5GHz support.

TL;DR: TP-Link firmware sucks. They need to enable support for greenfield mode or else 2.4GHz performance is terrible.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!