What's new

TP-Link Archer C9 or Asus RT-AC68P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

TP-Link is releasing a new AC1900 router (Archer C9) any day now.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?model=Archer+C9

I've never owned a TP-Link wireless router but the AC1750 Archer C8 has pretty good reviews from around the net. How are they firmware-wise?

I'm interested to know how it compares to the Asus RT-AC68P router that was recently released with beefed-up hardware.

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68P/

I currently own the 68P but I haven't been thrilled with it's recent firmware releases, or lack thereof. Would it be wise to make the switch to the TP-Link Archer C9 or is Asus the superior router product?

Just like the 68P you own, it will take a while for the firmware to become as stable as routers that have been around for a longer time.

I have seen a TP-Link switch used by a customer and although it was $10 and looked a little toy like, it is still working a year later.

I have not found any router with the length and level of support from the manufacturer as I have seen with Asus. And especially with the contributions from RMerlin.

Unless the newly released C9 is at the same level and I don't think it is, I would say it compares poorly.

If you don't like the firmware: It uses the same exact firmware as the 68U/68R, so you could just flash Merlin or Merlin fork for the 68U/68R.

Have they fixed the issue of the C8 where if you disable NAT Boost (required for bandwidth limiting) it halves the router's throughput? I hope so as I was just about ordering a C8. Good thing I read the review on it here which made me decide to skip it. I suspect the C9 may be similar in this regard. If this issues is not present in the C9 you can't go wrong much with Archer C9. I've owned several TP-Link products, a few bought just after release, and I can say they're incredibly stable. Can't say the same things for ASUS routers. ASUS may offer more features, though

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online