What's new

2nd Gen 8 port 2.5GbE managed, fanless switches with low power consumption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiddlywink

Regular Contributor
2nd Gen
Netgear MS308E8 x 2.5
Min. power consumption (watts)
Max. power consumption (watts)
Zyxel XMG1915-10E
8 x 2.5​
2 x SFP+​
Min. power consumption (watts)​
4.67​
Max. power consumption (watts)​
13.13​
TP-link SG3210X-M2
8 x 2.5​
2 x SFP+​
7.8​
15​
Mokerlink 2G08110GT
8 x 2.5​
1 x 10G​
?​
13​
1st Gen
TRENDnet TEG-3102WS
8 x 2.5​
2 x SFP+​
5.6​
22.2​

--------------

Finding a managed, fanless, 2.5Gb 5-8 port switch that don't run hot seems impossible. I did find this new TPLINK:

8× 2.5 Gbps RJ45 ports
2× 10 Gbps SFP+

Looks great but no USA release may happen. Released in Canada and EU.

Some of these specs seems very wrong like power consumption:

Max Power Consumption 15.0 W
Standby Power Consumption 7.8 W

Last edited:
I have been following those. Very few are managed and fanless. I barely trust tplink so the no-name chinese models are not on my radar.

22.2W:

Closest is the trendnet which people complain overheats especially if you use SFP. TPlink is either lying about the 15W or they managed to build the first fanless, managed 2.5Gb switch that doesn't suck.

15W doesn't seem that incredible. I've got a TRENDnet TEG-S380 8x2.5G fanless which is spec'd at 12.4W max --- and there's a newer "2.0" version spec'd at 7.26W. It's unmanaged unfortunately, but a simple management CPU shouldn't add all that much to TDP, and surely the 2.0 chassis could do it. (Sadly, even if you were okay with unmanaged, I'm not sure this one meets the "doesn't suck" requirement --- I've had compatibility issues with some client gear. Maybe the 2.0 revision fixed that, I dunno.)

15W doesn't seem that incredible. I've got a TRENDnet TEG-S380 8x2.5G fanless which is spec'd at 12.4W max --- and there's a newer "2.0" version spec'd at 7.26W. It's unmanaged unfortunately, but a simple management CPU shouldn't add all that much to TDP, and surely the 2.0 chassis could do it. (Sadly, even if you were okay with unmanaged, I'm not sure this one meets the "doesn't suck" requirement --- I've had compatibility issues with some client gear. Maybe the 2.0 revision fixed that, I dunno.)
The power delta between unmanaged and managed is high for fanless 2.5Gb switches. As you point out, unmanaged look okay and some new models are very great. Managed still runs quite a bit higher.

By "suck" I mean I am going by reviews about managed units getting so hot they either overheat or have ports die. If I am paying such a high $/port premium over gigabit, I don't want that extra heat.

I have been following those. Very few are managed and fanless. I barely trust tplink so the no-name chinese models are not on my radar.

Not everyone needs a managed switch - and some of those as basic unmanaged switches are pretty decent deals - most are file/save/copy - e.g. same CCA and Chipsets...

But I can see the view that going with a known vendor - Trendnet/TP-Link over in ethernet land are good enough - one can jump a couple of levels up into the Netgear Pro-Safes, and for premium, there's Cisco...

One can also look at Microtik and Ubiquiti - not companies I normally deal with, but the HW is good - just can't vouch for them, as I know them only by reputation for ethernet switching...

When you are quibbling over a few watts it does not mean much. Buy the best hardware and OS.

Finding a managed, fanless, 2.5Gb 5-8 port switch that don't run hot seems impossible. I did find this new TPLINK:
Why is it an issue that it runs hot, if it doesn't go out side of spec? A device running hot is in and of itself not a bad thing, as it means the heat is being moved from the hot components and out of the device as intended by design. I have had a Netgear GS110EMX for years, it gets hot, but it has never missed a beat.

As for what you're looking for, minus that it might be running hot, Trendnet might have what you're looking for. The power spec are all wrong on their website though, it comes with a 12 V 1.5 A power adapter and appears to pull less than 6 W at idle and it obviously couldn't pull more than 18 W.

Last edited:
The reviews are saying heat kills performance/ports/units with switches that are fully 2.5g across the brands. Your Netgear GS110EMX is gigabit with 2 port multi-gigabit.

Other people also care about power consumption:

A few watts does not matter. ... 15 or 20 watts at 12volts is nothing.
12W+ delta in a closet that is already warm matters to me. The multiple servethehome articles posted list the idle and W/port figures so I am not alone.

Found provantage is taking backorders but no clue if they are actually fulfilling them:

The reviews are saying heat kills performance/ports/units with switches that are fully 2.5g across the brands. Your Netgear GS110EMX is gigabit with 2 port multi-gigabit.

Other people also care about power consumption:
Well, I have a TRENDnet TEG-S380 V2.0R as well, it runs cool as anything and that one sits in the electrical cabinet where the internet comes in to the flat. Not everything was connected when I took this pic.

1721596819015.png

I also have a TP-Link TL-SX105 that runs cooler than the old GS110EMX.

Also, what was wrong with the TEG-3102WS?

Well, I have a TRENDnet TEG-S380 V2.0R as well, it runs cool as anything and that one sits in the electrical cabinet where the internet comes in to the flat. Not everything was connected when I took this pic.

I also have a TP-Link TL-SX105 that runs cooler than the old GS110EMX.

Also, what was wrong with the TEG-3102WS?
Again, unmanged 2.5g looks great. You have a 3rd revision device with a power consumption drop making it run cooler:

TEG-S380 (Version v1.0R)
TEG-S380 (Version v1.xR)
  • Input: 100 – 240V AC, 50/60 Hz, 0.6A
  • Output: 12V DC, 1.5A
  • Max. Consumption: 12.4W

TEG-S380 (Version v2.0R)

• Input: 100 – 240V AC, 50/60 Hz, 0.5A
  • Output: 12V DC, 1A
  • Max. Consumption: 7.26W

I guess I'm asking for the 2nd and 3rd revision of the managed TEG-3102WS with a similar 5W drop. The managed TPlink in the OP may deliver that now with a 15W max power consumption.

Review say it runs hot, sfp usage may overheat/kill the unit, has port isolation issues, etc. I'm making the assumption those leaving reviews know what they are doing.

New Netgear 2nd gen switches are looking great. You do lose SFP ports.

MS305E
5 x 2.5G
Power Consumption (Maximum) 5.6W

MS308E
8 x 2.5G
Power Consumption (Maximum) 8.1W

Chose the Netgear MS308E and can confirm power consumption numbers.

Pros
  • 4w idle and each port ads .5w; 8w max
  • Delivers 2.5G
  • Stays cool and only the bottom gets slightly warm when maxed; suggest wall/vertical mounting.
  • Wall wart has an ridiculously long 6ft cord
  • Metal case
  • 5yr warranty in USA

Cons
  • Price at $180 ($22/port). Netgear store 10% off coupon + amex offer ($230 MSRP)
  • Netgear "smart" is unique; you will lock yourself out of the switch at least once setting up vlans
  • Can't delete vlan1 and it must belong to one port
  • management can be restricted to a single IP or range

2.5G works great with TUF-AX6000's with openwrt. Vlans all just worked. Price per port is ridiculous right now but I expect that by next year it will be $150 or less.

--------

(MS305E should idle at ~3.1w)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!