What's new

TPLink VR900 vs VR2600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pentaxian

New Around Here
Hi

New poster here but been reading for a while but I remain going around in circles and confused.

Currently I have a VR900 which is not 100% and is given poor LAN performance when compared to an older TP-Link Router that it replaced. I did ask Amazon to do an exchange which they agreed to but that one was DOA so got sent back instead of the original VR900.

Now before I get them to replace it again or go for a different manufacturer and also purchase a Wi-Fi repeater to extend the network with good power.

Would the VR2600 with the high decibel antennas be a better better for a similar outlay in cost, at the moment I have no devices that are using AC but a few are planned in the coming months but even then I am talking about non MU-MIMO devices.

Thanks

Paul

Yes the VR2600 should be significantly better than the VR900 as the VR2600 uses 4 stream QCA radios and from experience this beats most/all routers running Broadcom radios. I'm using the Linksys EA8500 in UK which is identical to the VR2600, minus a built-in ADSL2+/VDSL2 modem. You won't be disappointed with the VR2600!!

Yes the VR2600 should be significantly better than the VR900 as the VR2600 uses 4 stream QCA radios and from experience this beats most/all routers running Broadcom radios. I'm using the Linksys EA8500 in UK which is identical to the VR2600, minus a built-in ADSL2+/VDSL2 modem. You won't be disappointed with the VR2600!!

Thanks, I am assuming if there are no MU-MIMO devices it will just function as a standard router just with better and more powerful signal?

Correct, from experience a decent Mu-Mimo router (eg QCA radio based) should give you better coverage than older non Mu-Mimo routers. At least that's what i found when comparing my Linksys EA8500 to Netgear R7000, Asus AC68U & Linksys WRT1900AC v2.

Correct, from experience a decent Mu-Mimo router (eg QCA radio based) should give you better coverage than older non Mu-Mimo routers. At least that's what i found when comparing my Linksys EA8500 to Netgear R7000, Asus AC68U & Linksys WRT1900AC v2.

Thanks, from reading the MU-MIMO retest review from the side it is saying that throughput speed for the VR2600 is not fantastic compared to the likes of the Netgear 7800 which is a lot better.

Thanks, from reading the MU-MIMO retest review from the side it is saying that throughput speed for the VR2600 is not fantastic compared to the likes of the Netgear 7800 which is a lot better.
Are you referring to the Netgear D7800 or R7800? Latter is a router only whilst former includes a ADSL2+/VDSL2 modem built-in, ala TP Link VR2600. However unlike the VR2600 which has a broadcom xDSL chipset, the Netgear D7800 has a Lantiq VRX-320 chipset which isn't ideal if your xDSL DSLAM is broadcom based. In the UK at least, users on Huawei (broadcom) FTTC VDSL2 cabs seem to get far better performance by using a broadcom chipset based modem (ie chipset matching) so you're better off staying away from Lantiq based modems if you're on a Huawei FTTC cabinet. If you're connected to an ECI FTTC cabinet then the Netgear D7800 is probably better than the VR2600.

Types of FTTC cabs in UK:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

The wifi performance on the VR2600, D7800, R7800 should be identical

Hi, no I am on an Huawei cabinet. I think I will look at taking the plunge on the VR2600, I notice that it supports the new VDSL standard G.INP whereas the VR900 does not so another potential benefit there and at only about £20 extra on the Vr900 that I would be returning to Amazon.

Took the option of the VR2600 and it is sitting and working fine by the looks of things for 24 hours. Wireless is penetrating the house better but will need a booster at somepoint. Having building work next year so may wait and pick up another VR2600 when Amazon has them on offer again and the use as an AP initially wireless but after the building work via Ethernet as I will be able to lay CAT6 cable.

DSL speeds are no different to the VR900 but then did not expect them to be, LAN and WIFI speed is light years faster than the VR900.

Good choice!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!