What's new

Transfer cap to USB3.0 at 35MB/s?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

michalma

New Around Here
Saw Merlin's screenshots showing 50+MB/s transfers on AC68u. Never got close to that on mine:
AC68u, 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 firmware, with USB3.0 drive attached, formatted NTFS.
Doing "dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=100k count=10k && sync" on wired (1Gbit) connection shows max transfer rate of 35MB/s. Which is what I get for regular file transfers, Apple Time Machine etc.

Same thing when done on the router itself shows transfers ~100MB/s to the same drive/folder.

What gives? So far seems to me there is router performance cap I am hitting somewhere? Would be around 240Mbps on wired, 160Mbps on wireless. Strange.

Do you have 'Reducing USB 3.0 Interference' enabled in the 'Professional' tab for 2.4 GHz. That will limit your speed.

Do you have 'Reducing USB 3.0 Interference' enabled in the 'Professional' tab for 2.4 GHz. That will limit your speed.
"Reducing USB 3.0 Interference" is disabled in my case. Also please note that the router itself can write to the drive at around 100MB/s. So I assume there is no issue there.\
By the way - also tried with that option enabled. And also with EXT4-formatted drive vs. NTFS. All had the same limit. EXT4 was even slower in my case than NTFS, with transfers capped around 25MB/s.

Let me put it this way:
PC or Mac wired -> AC68u -> USB3.0 drive = 35MB/s
AC68u -> USB3.0 drive = 100MB/s

Last edited:
Saw Merlin's screenshots showing 50+MB/s transfers on AC68u.

I guess you saw this one. However, 50 MB/s flies from Merlin's router to a laptop. Not the other way around, where indeed you can count on ~35 MB/s. This is exactly what I can see in my setup: WD 1T USB 3.0, ext4, wired. Maybe you may need to look closer at smb.conf in order to improve things a bit.