What's new

Transfer speeds drop during transfer between PC and server????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rmd3003

New Around Here
I have HP server on my network which is used as media server to stream video to multiple locations in the house. Setup consist of Dlink DIR655 router, and couple of dlink switches. All hardware supports gigabit speeds. Wiring is CAT-6. Weird problem is that when I transfer data from PC to server speed drops from 80MB/s to 15MB/s in the middle of transfer - most of the time it happens when I trasfer large files 1-5 GB. What could be the reason? It's so frustrating.

Could be that the servers disks are slower than the clients. Basically you are blasting data to the server at 80 MB/sec but it is only able to write to the disk at say 40 MB/sec. That extra 40 MB each second is being buffered into memory. So on large files you might be running out of memory and the server is cutting the speed down until it can empty its memory out. This is just a guess though. Need the specs of both of the clients. CPU speed, RAM, OS, and hard drive setups for each computer.

00Roush

Thanks 00Roush.
I think you might be right considering that server has slow WD Green drives which are 5400RPM. On my PC I have WD Black drives which are prety fast (7200RPM).
Thanks.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!