What's new

Trying to fix wireless when I've got wired backhaul: Mesh vs Wireless Controller?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dark54555

New Around Here
Decided that now may be the time to revisit my wireless, which has never been ideal in my house.

Background: 3000 sqft home, mostly 1 level (there's a room over the garage, but no other "upstairs" to speak of). The house is wired Cat6 to every room (which I did; and can certainly add more if needed to support this project). Modem is (unfortunately) upstairs over the garage (media room), which is the back corner of the house. Right now, I run wireless from the router up there (Nighthawk) and an access point at the opposite end of the house with discreet network names as I've never been able to get handoffs to work.

Seems like there are two options to potentially fix the wifi:
1. Buy a mesh system that supports wired backhaul (Eero, Google Wifi. Orbi does not, so it's out. Haven't looked at Luma.)
2. Buy some of the access points for a system with a controller (Ubiquiti, Engenius, etc.)

The only real "complicated" networking I do is internal static IPs, which all of these support. The network does run a lot of traffic (my wife works from home as a photographer, and does a lot of uploading to online galleries, etc.), but our home connection speed isn't anything exceptional (60 down). No fiber in our neighborhood, unfortunately.

The main thing I'm trying to balance is something that works reliably but can also be fixed by my wife if it goes down when I'm not home. She can reboot the current router, but I doubt she'd want to try to go into a more complicated process to bring things back up. Obviously, Google Wifi has the remote management, but I imagine any of the mesh systems would be simpler than the controller based ones (but I question whether the controller based ones may be more long term stable).

Unless there's some third option I'm missing, thoughts on this?

If you have ethernet, you don't need mesh...

WLC can be useful to coordinate multiple AP's by keeping everything within one UI instance..

The reason I was looking at the mesh systems is some of them supposedly manage handoffs. Google says it does, Eero is supposed to as of the new firmware.

The devices that have the worst problems moving between the two APs are the obvious ones: phones, tablets, and laptops. The only other devices I've got on Wifi (Roku sticks) don't move.

The reason I was looking at the mesh systems is some of them supposedly manage handoffs. Google says it does, Eero is supposed to as of the new firmware

Are you running unique SSID's for each AP/radio?

If so, try setting them all the same...

Are you running unique SSID's for each AP/radio?

If so, try setting them all the same...

Did the same SSID thing originally (admittedly, that was with the previous router and AP a couple years back), and eventually switched to separate ones so I could force it to switch to the closer access point because the handoffs were really bad. If I give that another shot, any particular settings on the Nighthawk I should be looking to adjust?

Clients have improved quite a bit over the last couple of years..

Give it a try and see..

I bought two Unifi AC PRO's and a Unifi cloud key controller to manage the WAP's. I have a mix in Intel, iDevices and Android, all roam seamlessly between both Access Points. Also a 4k TV that streams 4k and HD Netflix. You could still use your router (Nighthawk - if it's the R7000 load Asusrt-Merlin on it. Easy step to follow on web site).

I was using the R7000's as AP's connected to a Ubiquity router, but roaming wasn't happening. I'm currently using one SSID for 5ghz - ( a mix of .n and .ac) one SSID for 2.4ghz for wireless printer ( 2.4ghz only enabled on one WAP) Plus another 5ghz at this time for Guest. No issues so far..

The only thing that may bite you, is if you want to add a Guest Wireless subnet. Then you will need a router and switch that is VLAN aware. I am currently doing my routing on a Ubiquity ERX-SFP (250Mbps asymmetric - no issues), and also a ERX-SFP running in switch mode. If you don't think you'll get into configuring a Guest Wireless network, then it's a non issue.

The ACP PRO's come with a PoE adapter (I bought them individually packaged), to power your AP's. Don't need to worry about PoE router / switch.. The AP's have been running non-stop since I bought them. One 34 days and one 21 days (it was re-located to another spot).