What's new

Trying To Understand the GS - AX5400

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timlab55

Occasional Visitor
I have some questions that I've very unsure about.
#1: How many devices can I have connected to this router? I believe it 25, but unsure about.
#2: In my View List I have 25 with interfaces ranging from DHCP (using the Enther cable, then the 2.4G and 5G. I have 1 Netgear router that is in that list. Now that netgear router has a few items connected to it. Now can I bring in a wifi to it as well or am I done as I can't bring anything else it? If I'm done being able to add things, what is my next step without purchasing anything else?
#3: Is there a router out there that will handle more 25 devices? If so, what is the name of it?
Thanks

In a normal setup, you can easily add 250 devices - but that doesn't mean that number would work well!
It's utilization of the bands that is really going to determine how many devices you can use. You can see what this is in the router WebUI> System Log>Wireless Log

25 devices with high demands on the router might be a problem but 8 or 9 high demand and the rest as low demand, shouldn't be too challenging for the router. It's probably a good idea to tell us what issues you are seeing, rather that how you are thinking of curing an unspecified problem!

If you've a large number of high demand devices and the utilization is high, then you might want to be looking at adding a wired access point at a distance from the router and on a different channel. If many of those devices are 2.4GHz then you could add a mesh unit (or two) as these can often connect to the router on 5GHz while giveing access on 2.4GHz.

*I would have thought that your router will manage an average network with 25 devices - it's all about how long is a piece of string! On my own network I'm rationising at the moment and dropping a few of the Smart devices that never seem to get used - the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" ones.

I would avoid the tri-core Broadcom routers when possible, as they use by now, really old Corted-A7 CPU cores and they're underpowered in every way imaginable.

1: As for how many devices you can connect, that's hardly going to be an issue for most consumers, as not all devices will be actively using the router at all times. I can only agree with the input about it above.

2: I don't really get your question, but if you're asking if you can daisy chain routers/APs, then that's not ideal, as you end up with latency that way, even more so if you're doing wireless bridges/extenders. If all of them are wired to the main router, then there are no issues.

3: Yes, pretty much all modern routers, but you need to consider your internet connection if all of those devices need access to the internet. I've had far more devices connected to older, but better hardware than you have.

GM all and thank you for these answer so far. However, because I'm new to this stuff your answer I understand a little bit and pieces. I'm sorry for this. What can I show or tell you to show you the problem I'm having, but I have to solved this problem before the end of the month. With that being said, maybe I should give an example of my setup. My internet connection is 1GPs (fiber op), coming into my house. Then it goes into my gateway (ATT gateway). From there I have my ASUS router connected to my gateway. Over in my barn I have a router. This router has a CCTV camera DVR on it with 16 cameras (as I live on a farm with 6 acres and coyote's that like to visit at night, looking for my cats that are inside the house). If it was just that no problem I wouldn't be here. Now back at the house connect to my router are 4 enthernet cables plug in. 1 goes to my big tv, 1 goes to my Home Runner for cable TV, 1 goes to my powerline that connects my barn to my house and I forgot what the 4 one does. Then I have all sorts of wifi devices connected to my ASUS router. Okay so here comes the fun part. As for the wifi, I have 11 CCTV cameras coming in, 2 smart phones, 1 tablet and 1 tv (small). When I tried to connect my 12 CCTV camera it keeps (after different times), drops the connection and then I have to bring it back up.

So your issue is not with your main router, but with the secondary device in your barn.
Keep in mind that each router/access point (which is what your second router should be set up as), can handle their own amount of WiFi devices, so your device limit isn't the reason your 12th camera drops off the network. It's more likely that it's not getting a good enough signal from the router, so you might want to get an access point with better transmit power, as it could fix the issue, but there's no guarantee. You didn't mention the Netgar model, so hard to say. Otherwise, try and relocate the camera and see if that helps, if possible.

Last edited:
If the router/APs are doing AUTO channel select, turn that off, (usually for the 2.4 GHz radio), and manually select a channel. Many IOT devices do not manage well with the wireless signal changing the broadcast channel.

Well, I think I've got the licked and I thank you all for your answers. Today, I reprogram the Router in the barn. I just wish Netgear would leave it alone if it works. I spend 3 hours tryiing to get into the dashboard so I could make the changes and see what I had first. Then I fired up my system which still needs a little adjustments (later). But I think the biggest change was the one submitted by degrub. That made all the differents in the world I believe. I'll know for it in about 18 hours. But the 12th camera is working like a charm.
Thanks all.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online