What's new

TWC modem/router to Asus router connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xcamx007

New Around Here
Hello, i have an issue trying to connect or even see my Asus router to see settings. My issue is i have TWC and it supplied me with the Ubee DDW3611 modem/router and use TWC fastest internet forgot what its called.

Anyway when hard wired works perfect but wirelessly isnt all too great and read good reviews on Asus so i got the Asus RTN66U. Looking on the back of the Ubee it only has 4 lan connections and when trying to set up the Asus i cant get past the beginning part of the setup because it said connection not found due to it looking for a Wan to Wan connection?

What im trying to accomplish is using the Asus as my router and the Ubee strickly a modem or if not possible the Asus to share connection of the Ubee to boost range/connection. If any of what im doing even possible?

Appologize if being ignorant but i dont know much but simple basics. I tried googling for couple hrs and tried few things and nothing. If it helps i live in NC and i have my ps4 hardwired to the Ubee and my phone, wifes phone, tablet and laptop connectly wirelessly and not all on at the same time just noting.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Get TWC to replace the modem+router with modem only.

I have TWC DOCSIS 3 service, 35/5Mbps.
Arris modem, no router.
ASUS WiFi router.

I have a separate Arris box from TWC for digital phone. I wanted the phone independent of the internet modem because I tinker a some and I don't want the phone service affected by tinkering or rebooting the modem. They don't charge me more due to using 2 TWC boxes rather than an all-in-one.

The alternative is messy: get TWC to put the modem in bridge mode (bypassing its internal router). Or even worse, daisy-chain their router to your own router. Double-NAT like this is a mess.

Hello, i have an issue trying to connect or even see my Asus router to see settings. My issue is i have TWC and it supplied me with the Ubee DDW3611 modem/router and use TWC fastest internet forgot what its called.

Anyway when hard wired works perfect but wirelessly isnt all too great and read good reviews on Asus so i got the Asus RTN66U. Looking on the back of the Ubee it only has 4 lan connections and when trying to set up the Asus i cant get past the beginning part of the setup because it said connection not found due to it looking for a Wan to Wan connection?

What im trying to accomplish is using the Asus as my router and the Ubee strickly a modem or if not possible the Asus to share connection of the Ubee to boost range/connection. If any of what im doing even possible?

Appologize if being ignorant but i dont know much but simple basics. I tried googling for couple hrs and tried few things and nothing. If it helps i live in NC and i have my ps4 hardwired to the Ubee and my phone, wifes phone, tablet and laptop connectly wirelessly and not all on at the same time just noting.

Thanks for any help in advance.

First, let's address your comment that you are on the fastest speed tier and this is what TWC gave you to get the fastest speeds:

The cable modem/gateway device that TWC has given you is not capable of supporting the fastest speeds that TWC now offers in some/most of their largest markets now, and by largest markets, I'm referring to Southern California, NYC, some cities in Texas, etc., where the maximum speed tier is 300Mbps download and 20Mbps upload.

The Ubee DDW3611 is a Docsis 3.0 modem, but it can only do 8x4 channel bonding, which means it can only bond together a maximum of 8 256QAM download channels, which limits the top end download speed you can get to just a little under 150Mbps. It's also only an b/g/n device, so no 802.11ac speeds.

If your area is provisioned for the higher speeds, then Stevech is absolutely right...get rid of it and ask TWC for either an Arris 6183--which is a 16x4 modem only-- or if you need a phone Gateway/modem, then do as he has done, ask them for a separate SIP device for your phone.

But if you really want to try connecting your Ubee DDW3611 to your Asus so you can use the latter as your router/wireless/firewall, you need to put the Ubee into what is sometimes called Bridge Mode, you need to turn off NAT, turn off the firewall, and turn off the wireless radios.

In other words, you need to get into the settings page for the Ubee DDW3611, and turn off all that stuff so it is just a modem only.

To get into its settings, TWC kind of screws around with the default device settings so maybe you can access the GUI and maybe you can't. Ordinarily you'd just connect a computer directly to the LAN port coming out of the Ubee DDW3611, and in a browser, type "192.168.0.1". The stock default user name is "user" and the default password is "user". But TWC sometimes changes those-- how nice of them. The real administrator username that comes configured on these modems when you get them from TWC is often the last eight digits of the unit's MAC address but without the colons separating out the values. This is unique to your device, but can be found pretty easily by looking at the user interface that you do have access to or looking at the bottom of the Ubee. The password for whatever your last 8 MAC digits are will be "c0nf1gur3m3". Use that and you should be able to get in.

Once you're in, change the password to something only you will remember.

But that's only half the battle. Even the GUI doesn't let you get to the real settings you need to use to be able to use your Ubee DDW3361 as just a plain old router. So in your browser you need to type in 192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp.

Once you access that page, you can change the modem's operation mode to Bridge mode, or NAT mode, or Router mode, or NAT-Router mode depending on what you want to do with it.

Because you want to use it as just a modem, you want to turn off NAT. That will also turn off the firewall automatically on the Ubee, or so the manual says.

Finally, you also want to turn off the wireless radios. The Ubee is a dual channel device, meaning it has two radios, one for 2.4 ghz and the other for 5ghz. They do not have 802.11ac anyway, so if you want 11ac speeds, you should just get something different (or use your Asus wireless) anyway. So turn them both off.

Next, look for the Gateway link at the top of the page GUI, and click it. Then click on DHCP and you'll see two radio buttons, on and off. Turn DHCP to "off" since you want your Asus router to handle DHCP.

Finally, if you happened to consult the DW6311's user manual, don't get confused by what I mean when I'm referring to "Bridge" mode and what the manual talks about when using the term Bridge: The manual is talking about how to use the Ubee's wireless as a bridge so that it will connect with only one other wireless device, and thus "bridge" the wifi connection. That's not what we're talking about when we say put the thing into "Bridge" by turning off NAT.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to use one of these devices. I would suggest that if you're going to be on the same speed tier for a while and aren't moving, you should buy your own modem. Either the Arris 6141 (8x8) or 6183 are excellent choices. The 6183 is a little pricey, but it's very fast and stable.

Last edited:
On this topic, a photo. Gear on shelf in garage.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab107/childresss1/RQS9IC5_zpsx6qby1bz.jpg

L-to-R
MoCA box providing LAN to TV in LR where I can't get cat5 and don't want video via WiFi

TWC's Arris DOCSIS 2 modem with digital phone. I used to have Internet cable modemm from this too.

TWC's Arris DOCSIS 3 modem, for 35/5Mbps service. Independent of phone so rebooting it and fiddling with LAN won't affect phone. Cat5 from modem to WiFi router in office (ASUS). Office is on common wall to garage, so it was easy.

UPS for these boxes and a 110VAC line into my office for my PC and NAS

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys, i was able to get in and saw modem/gateway/wireless/firewall/parental control/tools/log out. However when try to change the url to 192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp nothing happens and screen says "no data received". Any clues???

Thanks for all the info guys, i was able to get in and saw modem/gateway/wireless/firewall/parental control/tools/log out. However when try to change the url to 192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp nothing happens and screen says "no data received". Any clues???

http://setuprouter.com/router/ubee/ddw3611/ip-address.htm

Beyond that, and what Stevech and I have already suggested, I have just four words for you: Get a different modem.

On this topic, a photo. Gear on shelf in garage.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab107/childresss1/RQS9IC5_zpsx6qby1bz.jpg

L-to-R
MoCA box providing LAN to TV in LR where I can't get cat5 and don't want video via WiFi

TWC's Arris DOCSIS 2 modem with digital phone. I used to have Internet cable modemm from this too.

TWC's Arris DOCSIS 3 modem, for 35/5Mbps service. Independent of phone so rebooting it and fiddling with LAN won't affect phone. Cat5 from modem to WiFi router in office (ASUS). Office is on common wall to garage, so it was easy.

UPS for these boxes and a 110VAC line into my office for my PC and NAS

Stevech:

1. How many splitters do you have ahead of your two modems?
2. What kind of splitter(s) are you using?
3. How are the signal levels from your Arris CM820?
4. How are the temps on your devices since they are in fairly close proximity to one another (not that this stuff throws off a lot of heat, but just curious if it's caused any issues)?
5. Is your area (I recal reading that you're in S.D.?) provisioned yet for the higher speeds?

Just curious.

One last add....if you absolutely refuse to get a different modem, then the only choice you will have if you want to use your Asus is to set it up as an Access Point (or as a wireless repeater or a wireless bridge).

Just bypass the Asus' Quick Setup utility, and enter your settings manually. Read the Asus manual about how to set it up as an AP. It's really straightforward and easily done. Repeater mode is even easier.

Stevech:

1. How many splitters do you have ahead of your two modems?
2. What kind of splitter(s) are you using?
3. How are the signal levels from your Arris CM820?
4. How are the temps on your devices since they are in fairly close proximity to one another (not that this stuff throws off a lot of heat, but just curious if it's caused any issues)?
5. Is your area (I recal reading that you're in S.D.?) provisioned yet for the higher speeds?

Just curious.

Get TWC to give you an Arris cable modem and take back the all-in-one.

1. Splitters: TWC cable enters home in attic. I have a return (two-way) amplifier there as the first connection. There's a 6dB attenuator/pad on its output. Its main purpose is to amplify the upstream, not the downstream. This is for the two Arris boxes and moreso, the TWC settop box and its switched digital video. Then there's a two-way splitter, coax to garage where there's another two-way splitter, one for Arris phone modem, one for Internet modem. In the attic again, other splits feed TVs and settop boxes..

2. Splitters: TWC provided 2GHz. Not critical.

3. Signals: downstream is 8dBmv, a bit too high but oh well; upstream (ever the problem, with running up to max due to TWC issues) is 35dBmv. Long story on how I fixed the upstream whereas 10 service calls by TWC didn't. My upstream used to be very erratic day to day, season to season. Due to a bad 125 ft. drop coax that TWC refused to replace due to living in a townhouse. I replaced via a reroute of my design. Note: You can also call up the maintenance screen in your settop box and see the signal levels there.

4. No heat issues. The garage gets hot in the summer, esp. with a just-driven car in garage. I sit the Arris boxes vertically as shown in the photo, no stacking.

5. San Diego.. I recently upped to DOCSIS 3 to get 35/5Mbps. Higher speed is way too expensive per TWC/monopolistic pricing.

One last add....if you absolutely refuse to get a different modem, then the only choice you will have if you want to use your Asus is to set it up as an Access Point (or as a wireless repeater or a wireless bridge).

Just bypass the Asus' Quick Setup utility, and enter your settings manually. Read the Asus manual about how to set it up as an AP. It's really straightforward and easily done. Repeater mode is even easier.

Ok half the battle is done. I ended up purchasing a Motorola/Arris SB6141 modem. I call TWC and had them activate the internet so the modem could work. After about an hr or so of phone calls i got it working. I can take the ethernet cable from the modem, plug is into my laptop and works super fast.

However when i take the ethernet cable and plug it into the Wan port on the Asus and try to run the set up it says can not detect wired connection. Now the lights on router are on and on the lap top since I connected it to a lan port on the router.

how else do i set this up if it won't let get past the beginning???

However when i take the ethernet cable and plug it into the Wan port on the Asus and try to run the set up it says can not detect wired connection.

Please clarify: "It says can not detect"... What is sending that message? Your laptop?
Is your laptop's ethernet set for DHCP use rather than a fixed/static LAN address?

Does the Ethernet link light on the modem go on- either steady or flashing?

PS: THat SB6141 as I recall is an older DOCSIS 2 modem, meaning if you pay for DOCSIS 3 speeds, that modem won't do it. I chose to lease not buy the modems to avoid finger-pointing by TWC (customer-owned modem, they want to bill you for service calls to home).

Please clarify: "It says can not detect"... What is sending that message? Your laptop?
Is your laptop's ethernet set for DHCP use rather than a fixed/static LAN address?

Does the Ethernet link light on the modem go on- either steady or flashing?

PS: THat SB6141 as I recall is an older DOCSIS 2 modem, meaning if you pay for DOCSIS 3 speeds, that modem won't do it. I chose to lease not buy the modems to avoid finger-pointing by TWC (customer-owned modem, they want to bill you for service calls to home).

The modem is one of the latest ones, your thinking of the SB6121 i think. this is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. From my understanding it seems i got a defective router. soon as I plug the modem and router together i should see some kind of wifi "ASUS" connection available to start the set up. I don't see that. Also using the install disc it comes with, when i use the "quick set up" , the very first step says connect "wan to wan" and click next which i did. I hit the next button and then says wired connection not found please check connection to modem. there's only one place the ethernet cable can go on the modem. The internet works, I took the ethernet cable from the modem and plugged it directly into my laptop and i surf the web just fine. however if i plug it into the wan on the router, run another ethernet cable from the 1st lan port on the router to my laptop, that's where the issue is. I can't see the wifi signal to set it up and i can't either via ethernet cable.

SB6141 is DOCSIS 3.0

Update guys: I sent an email to the seller i got the router from (ebay). Not sure if that had anything to do with it as i buy/sell new/used items all the time but anyway. They ebay store isn't available til tomorrow and i bit the bullet and went to bestbuy. They had the Asus RTN66R in stock so i bought that.

Got home unpackaged it and did everything again as per instructions and worked perfectly! Between unpackaging, set up and being on the internet both wired & wirelessly took about 5 mins.

I going to send back that router guess i got a defective one.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Get TWC to give you an Arris cable modem and take back the all-in-one.

1. Splitters: TWC cable enters home in attic. I have a return (two-way) amplifier there as the first connection. There's a 6dB attenuator/pad on its output. Its main purpose is to amplify the upstream, not the downstream. This is for the two Arris boxes and moreso, the TWC settop box and its switched digital video. Then there's a two-way splitter, coax to garage where there's another two-way splitter, one for Arris phone modem, one for Internet modem. In the attic again, other splits feed TVs and settop boxes..

2. Splitters: TWC provided 2GHz. Not critical.

3. Signals: downstream is 8dBmv, a bit too high but oh well; upstream (ever the problem, with running up to max due to TWC issues) is 35dBmv. Long story on how I fixed the upstream whereas 10 service calls by TWC didn't. My upstream used to be very erratic day to day, season to season. Due to a bad 125 ft. drop coax that TWC refused to replace due to living in a townhouse. I replaced via a reroute of my design. Note: You can also call up the maintenance screen in your settop box and see the signal levels there.

4. No heat issues. The garage gets hot in the summer, esp. with a just-driven car in garage. I sit the Arris boxes vertically as shown in the photo, no stacking.

5. San Diego.. I recently upped to DOCSIS 3 to get 35/5Mbps. Higher speed is way too expensive per TWC/monopolistic pricing.

1 & 2. Splitters-- surprised that you're getting good signals with that many splitters involved ahead of your router. Best practice is line straight from the cable drop with only one splitter to cable modem. I realize that you need another one since you're using phone, but if it works it works.

3. Signals. 8dbmv is way too high. What kind of correctables/uncorrectables are you seeing? Sounds like a power issue, but again, if your not experiencing any issues, I suppose you can live with it. As for upstream, power levels can be critical too. Never tried to get signal readings from a settop cable box....most time it's just way easier to get into the GUI of the cable modem where they can be read directly right before the connection to the router.

Update guys: I sent an email to the seller i got the router from (ebay). Not sure if that had anything to do with it as i buy/sell new/used items all the time but anyway. They ebay store isn't available til tomorrow and i bit the bullet and went to bestbuy. They had the Asus RTN66R in stock so i bought that.

Got home unpackaged it and did everything again as per instructions and worked perfectly! Between unpackaging, set up and being on the internet both wired & wirelessly took about 5 mins.

I going to send back that router guess i got a defective one.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Congratulations. Glad you got it working correctly.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!