What's new

Unable to update Asuswrt Merlin firmware on RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Metro

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have an Asus RT-AC88U running Asuswrt Merlin firmware 384.10_2. I'd like to update it to version 384.13, but each time I attempt to update, the firmware update process looks normal with the "Please wait" dialog, but after it ticks to 100%, the web page refreshes and I'm still on 384.10_2.

I've looked at the system logs and the only relevant event I can see is one line:
rc_service: skip the event: stop_upgrade.

I've searched the web and the forums and I'm getting very few hits for this error. One old post from Merlin said that it may be a memory error and to reboot first, which I've done several times (including pulling the power for 30 seconds).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Is there more information I can provide?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

I'd start by re-downloading the file. I have gotten corrupted/incomplete downloads before. Second, ensure that you are getting the correct file, not the file for the AX-88U as an example. Third, make certain that you've extracted the .zip and are getting the correct file to upload. Try those first (after a reboot) and report back if it still doesn't work.

I've looked at the system logs and the only relevant event I can see is one line:
rc_service: skip the event: stop_upgrade.

When an event gets skipped, it usually means another event was running and took too long to complete (I believe the default timeout is 30 seconds). You'd have to look at previous logged events to determine which one is blocking the whole process.

Generally, rebooting the router with no USB disk plugged in before an upgrade will help reduce the chances of running into such issues.

Thank you, both, so much for your advice. I guess the fifth time was the charm, and I'm updated to 384.13. Have a great weekend!

Thank you, both, so much for your advice. I guess the fifth time was the charm, and I'm updated to 384.13. Have a great weekend!
I've got the same problem... Any tips?

(btw, this is my first post. The issues seem related and the post is recent so I'm asking here. But I will gladly post a new thread if that's what I should do.)

I'm also stuck and unable to upgrade. I'm on 384.06 with my RT-AC68u. I was hoping to go to .13, and it failed (same "issue" as you ... 100 %, then "done," then the page refreshes to the admin console showing it's stuck at old version). I thought that I might be trying to do too many versions to go in one jump. So I've tried version .08 (and .09), trying to stay within 3 versions like the FAQ recommends. I've also download the files multiple times and tried different browsers. I've yet to try the upgrade from another computer, but I'll give that a shot.

I don't have any USB items connected to the router. The router itself has been flawless (it's hardwired via ethernet to a fiber "modem")... I was just hoping to play with mesh. I've rebooted prior to updated. I've unplugged it and left it off for 30-secs to 5 min. None of that make a difference.

What else....I've seen a similar "stop upgrade" message ("rc_service: httpd 282:notify_rc stop_upgrade_ate 1 0"), but it's not always there. Interestingly, right after I attempt the upgrade, my logs are blank and it shows no clients connected. I have to reboot the router to get logs and client count, though then logs only show the months ago, plus the last log since I tried to update. For example, here's the first logged I actually looked at and remembered to today. I think it was around my 3rd attempt. The only previous item shown in the log is back in May. I have no idea where the logs went (or if that's a problem). Here's that log:

[many previous may, april, march, etc snipped]
May 4 22:05:30 ntp: start NTP update
Sep 12 12:00:42 rc_service: ntp 453:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Sep 12 12:00:42 disk_monitor: Finish
Sep 12 12:00:45 disk_monitor: be idle
Sep 12 12:00:45 kernel: *** ERROR: [tdts_shell_ioctl_sig_op_load:95] tdts_core_rule_parsing_trf_load() fail!
Sep 12 12:00:46 rc_service: zcip 578:notify_rc start_firewall
Sep 12 12:00:47 zcip_client: configured 169.254.247.160
Sep 12 12:00:49 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_vlan201)
Sep 12 12:01:04 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 3529123_patch
Sep 12 12:01:04 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.14 r3529123
Sep 12 12:01:04 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Sep 12 12:01:09 rc_service: ip-up 435:notify_rc start_firewall
Sep 12 12:01:10 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big. Consider r2q change.
Sep 12 12:01:10 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_vlan201)
Sep 12 12:01:10 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 20001 is big. Consider r2q change.
Sep 12 12:01:10 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10009 is big. Consider r2q change.
Sep 12 12:01:10 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 20009 is big. Consider r2q change.
Sep 12 12:01:11 crond[280]: time disparity of 713635 minutes detected
Sep 12 12:02:15 rc_service: httpd 282:notify_rc stop_upgrade_ate 1 0
Sep 12 12:02:15 kernel: klogd: exiting

Any thoughts? I should probably just factory reset, but I've got about a zillion (OK, a dozen) devices configured with parental controls and access times. I really don't want to have to redo them from scratch if I can avoid that.

Cheers!

My one and only piece of advice is that, in the past, I've had different luck upgrading via different browsers. It may be a coincidence, but it's worth trying. The update that ran this time was from Edge (I'm normally a Chrome user).

I have two other AC68Us that have given me this same problem, but they're both in remote locations and, in addition, sometimes the upgrade attempt will take down the web interface (though all other functions remain working).

Maybe Merlin can tell us what information we can gather to help figure out what's going on.

Thanks. I'm definitely behind on updates but I've had no problem with Merlin previously. Thanks for the tip -- I tried in Chrome and Firefox. I'll give Edge a shot tonight. I may also try from my daughter's mac -- Microsoft has been totally messing with windows 10 security/firewall/etc.... I wouldn't put it past them that they're breaking the file or update somehow between download and upload.

My one and only piece of advice is that, in the past, I've had different luck upgrading via different browsers. It may be a coincidence, but it's worth trying. The update that ran this time was from Edge (I'm normally a Chrome user).

Thanks. I'm definitely behind on updates but I've had no problem with Merlin previously. Thanks for the tip -- I tried in Chrome and Firefox. I'll give Edge a shot tonight. I may also try from my daughter's mac -- Microsoft has been totally messing with windows 10 security/firewall/etc.... I wouldn't put it past them that they're breaking the file or update somehow between download and upload.

FWIW, I just tried my daughters mac via Safari. New computer. New browser. Same story. No go. Here's the log:
Sep 12 21:05:03 rc_service: httpd 282:notify_rc start_webs_update
Sep 12 21:07:42 rc_service: httpd 282:notify_rc stop_upgrade_ate 1 0
Sep 12 21:07:42 kernel: klogd: exiting
Sep 12 21:07:42 rc_service: httpd 282:notify_rc start_upgrade_ate 1 0
Sep 12 21:07:42 rc_service: waitting "stop_upgrade_ate 1 0" via httpd ...
Sep 12 21:07:42 syslogd exiting

The first thing to do if an update fail is to make sure there are no USB devices hooked on the router. Reboot (to free up space in memory) and retry flashing.

The first thing to do if an update fail is to make sure there are no USB devices hooked on the router. Reboot (to free up space in memory) and retry flashing.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any USB devices. I rebooted multiple times before flashing. I also tried unplugging and leaving it unplugged for 2 minutes before flashing. I've also tried with WiFi on and Off. I'll keep trying when I have some spare moments where I can be without the internet, but unless I get lucky or someone can make sense of the logs, it looks like I'm going to have to do a full factory reset.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any USB devices. I rebooted multiple times before flashing. I also tried unplugging and leaving it unplugged for 2 minutes before flashing. I've also tried with WiFi on and Off. I'll keep trying when I have some spare moments where I can be without the internet, but unless I get lucky or someone can make sense of the logs, it looks like I'm going to have to do a full factory reset.

Cheers!
What model is it? Is it a legit 68u or a TM-AC1900? Apologize if you already said but I didn't see it.

Someone apparently asked (I got a notification, but the post is gone) if this was a "real" 68u or the TM-AC1900. It is indeed the TM version. Does that make a difference? It's been flashed and working on Merlin for years. Before that, it was on Tomato.

NO-FRIGGING-TM1900.png

Alrighty. I guess she's dead, then. Can't wait to go read that thread. I guess I'm going shopping for a new router now. Cheers!

Edit: read it. I guess I'm an idiot who doesn't read. Sorry. Though in my defense, I'll say a) I also had an actual 68u and got rid of it because it kept freezing, something the flashed router never did, and b) I've been thinking the router was a 68u for so many years now (honestly I had to go look at it to see what it said on the front and remind myself which one I gave away) that even though it's mentioned a zillion times that the tm version isn't supported, I still wouldn't have thought it applied to me because in my mind I was using a 68u. Sorry for the hassle and thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Certain keywords get flag I believe for mod approval. I'm not sure which it was but my post was flagged and then later approved to be added it seems. That would be why you got a notification and didn't see the post.

Certain keywords get flag I believe for mod approval. I'm not sure which it was but my post was flagged and then later approved to be added it seems. That would be why you got a notification and didn't see the post.
you used the bad string T?-A?1900

you used the bad string T?-A?1900
Can't help it.....:oops::D Alot of people come and complain about not being able to do stuff and end using that "bad router". If only we had a post "stickied" to the top for people to read first before they post. o_O

Can't help it.....:oops::D Alot of people come and complain about not being able to do stuff and end using that "bad router". If only we had a post "stickied" to the top for people to read first before they post. o_O

A lot of people think that forums are only a place to post stuff, not a place to read...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!