What's new

Unbound Unbound + AdGuard Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zim

Regular Contributor
I'm sure many people are running Unbound with AdGuard on their routers. Curious what everyone is using for their settings for both. Anyone tinker with them or leave them as defaults? I understand the settings will vary based on HW, but what is the consensus?

Reason for asking is, I've upgraded my router to a beefier one (AXE16000 {2GHz CPU + 2GB RAM} from AX11000 {1.8GHz CPU + 1 GB RAM}) and I'm noticing that I'm now getting DNS "queries dropped because request list was full" - which didn't happen on AX11000. The settings are all the same, the only difference is before I was running everything as mesh, and now I'm running things as separate subnets.

Questions:
  1. What are your settings like?
  2. What can I tweak to optimize my Unbound + AdGuard setup? I've done a LOT of Googling and trying different settings, but not able to get the dropped queries to 0!
  3. How can I see which client's queries are being dropped and which queries are being dropped?

Thanks!

Unbound stats:
DNS.png

Unbound settings: (red arrows are what I've changes. Some settings like edns-buffer-size and incoming-num-tcp, I don't understand, but changed to try out)
Unbound.png

AdGuard DNS setting: (changed Rate Limit from 0 {no limit} to 240 figuring maybe Unbound was being overwhelmed by number of queries)
Ads.png

You’ll be limited to what settings you can set and increase on a router compared to a dedicated device providing DNS like a RPi etc.

You could look at various configs for Unbound and see what works for you/your device.

Calomel provides a good baseline config (search on your favourite search engine for the site) and there’s some good configs on GitHub (I’ve used these to build/optimise mine).

My DNS cache hit-rate sits at about 91% currently with Unbound:

1729365568856.png