What's new

Unknown Client on LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
All the clients on my lan have been assigned their own local IP. From time to time I get an unidentified client showing up on my Network map. Always the same local IP/MAC however that is all the info I get (i.e. no manufacurer). When I refresh the list the client is no longer there.

Is there a way I can determine where this client is coming from? Alternatively, can I block this client via MAC address??

What router do you have? Most have the functionality to do MAC filtering, either allowing or blocking certain addresses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How do you have the 2 routers setup? Could it be one of them? You sure its not TV's, Game consoles, etc? Do you have WPS enabled on your router?

How do you have the 2 routers setup? Could it be one of them? You sure its not TV's, Game consoles, etc? Do you have WPS enabled on your router?

N66U - Router
AC66U - AP
wps enabled - no

Any wireless/hard-wired device in my home is assigned a local IP. There should be no clients in the client list I dont have a record of, either by IP or MAC address:confused:

All the clients on my lan have been assigned their own local IP. From time to time I get an unidentified client showing up on my Network map. Always the same local IP/MAC however that is all the info I get (i.e. no manufacurer). When I refresh the list the client is no longer there.

Is there a way I can determine where this client is coming from? Alternatively, can I block this client via MAC address??

What is the vendor code (first 3 octets of MAC)?

And is it shown in the DHCP lease list? (System Log, DHCP Leases tab)

Last edited:
Not on any of the official lists, but I found some evidence that suggests this range is assigned to Kindle. Do you have a Kindle in the house? If so, check to see if it's mac matches.

Bravo!!!! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Wife's kindle I didnt even know she had :eek:

Router logs; priceless. :)

Now, you're allowed a new toy too.

Well, yes, we know how that 'fairness' stuff goes with our better half (our toys are usually more expensive anyways).