What's new

Update AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmy06

New Around Here
Hello everyone !
I'm coming back to the forum after years of absence, life ;-(
(I had to recreate my username)
Thank you for being lenient, I searched before asking the question!

I'm still with my Merlin 386 7-2 firmware, everything works fine but I see major updates! What should I focus on and how.

Once again THANK YOU for your answers and help
And sorry for my bad english language

I'm still with my Merlin 386 7-2 firmware, everything works fine but I see major updates! What should I focus on and how.
Expand on your question. What is it that you feel you need to focus on? Are you asking how to update the firmware?
The current stable Asus Merlin firmware for the RT-AX86U is 3004.388.7. You can read the 388.x firmware Change Log to see the updates to the firmware. You can see the firmware posts in the Asus-Merlin subforum to see if people are having a problem with various firmware releases that your router supports including the latest stable 3004.388.7.
Release - Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.7 is now available
From the Asus-Merlin Wiki Installation page (which may be a bit dated):
  • While it is generally not necessary to restore to factory defaults, it's not a bad idea, especially if there is a big jump in version number (e.g. from 112 to 178). No need to do the 30/30/30 dance as required by DD-WRT - just do a plain Factory Default reset, or turn the device on while keeping the WPS button pressed. (The procedure can be different from one model to another.)

Last edited:
Dear Bennor

1) first of all thank you for the time you took to answer me
2) I have difficulty expressing myself but my primary concern is to update
3) with your answer, I checked the discussion thread of the last update with those who have the same device, no problems

The most important , the process , i read the wiki
1) my parameter saving will no longer work, so I must provide an external solution?
2)regarding the update I have doubts :
2.1 reset factory + last update 3004.388.7
or
2.2 mount updates up to 380.61 and after 3004.388.7
ONCE AGAIN thank you for your time to help me ( don't forget i use google traduction )

@jmy06, as the prior poster indicated you can typically flash the latest firmware over the top of your existing firmware. Then do a hard factory reset after the firmware update just to be safe then perform a manual configuration of the router settings as needed for your use case.

While one could use the router GUI settings export option to export a router.cfg file containing the settings, because of the large gap between your current firmware and the latest, it is possible some settings and default values may have changed. Meaning importing into the latest firmware the old saved router.cfg file from the old firmware may cause problems which is why one is better off manually configuring the router settings rather than importing a saved router.cfg file.

Suggested steps (others may have different suggestions or order of steps).
  • Write down or screen capture or print to PDF each router GUI page where you have made changes for use when configuring router after new firmware installed.
  • If using any third party add-on scripts, save any configuration files for them.
  • Use the router GUI to eject any router attached USB hard drive.
  • Using router GUI, flash the newest firmware to the router.
  • Perform a hard factory reset.
  • Manually configure the router.
  • Test the new firmware to ensure everything is working for your use case.
  • Once the router configuration is done and you have given the router time to settle down (10 to 15 minutes), then reattach the USB hard drive (if using one) and reinstall any third party add-ons you have have previously installed.
  • Then once again test the new firmware to ensure everything is working for your use case.

Guys THANK YOU for your answers and therefore a definite help. I will do the manipulation this week in peace

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!