What's new

Upgrade Firmware to Merlin rt ac5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

waldo142

New Around Here
I have been using an Asus RT-AC5300 for 4 years and only a few minor hiccups. Merlin firmware was installed. I have 85+ Manually assigned IP addressess. I just bought a gently used identical router for backup reasons. It has Asus firmware 9.0.0.04.386-41994. 2 days I have been trying to upgrade to Merlin. 1. I have downloaded via ethernet not wireless.4 hours of wrong file type. Then saw a fix where change TRX to Capitals CFG. That seemed to work but then when couldnt relog more investigating to an entry ..DO NOT LOG in just hold reset button 5 sec and reboots then try to log in. Well that little exercise leaves me at the asus firmware. Original login. I am getting dizzy from going in circles. I am thinking my next step is target practice. I AM AT THE END OF MY CAPEABILITIES. hELP.

have you tried flashing it with putting the router in restore mode or using the recovery tool from asus?

I just bought a gently used identical router for backup reasons.

This model router is End-Of-Life and there will be no new Asuswrt firmware for it, soon no new Asuswrt-Merlin either.

The firmware file is .trx, needs no fixing and flashes with no issues, unless the router itself has some issue. If you are going to use Firmware Restoration tool make sure you flash the correct firmware file. The correct firmware files for your RT-AC5300 are here:

Several years ago when I bought my first ac5300 I upgraded to Merlin 4 minutes and done.I have always used source forge to download. Today I found myself again chasing my own tail now for 3 hrs. It will not accept the trx file and on the file I changed to .CFG it accepts and loads and I log back in correctly and its not there. also tried not logging in after flashing the CFG but pressing reset button as someone suggested in my reading. no avail. Proper site...ethernet not wifi.. 4 diff times downloaded... 2 different laptops.. nothing. My sole reason for the change is the higher manual assign limit on ip address. has become consuming!!

after flashing the CFG

I know nothing about this. I had one RT-AC5300 in my routers collection before, it was flashed numerous times between stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin with no issues. This gently used unit perhaps has an issue the seller didn't tell you about. The firmware on it is a beta from Feb 2021, there were 4 official releases after that. Perhaps related to your issue question - why this unit was never updated?

I have now managed to install a new firmware 3.0.0.4.386.4837 . I am assuming this is the Asus firmware not the merlin.. so I download the latest zip file for my router. unzip it aND YES IT IS A TRX FILE. I try to install that and Nope says not recog file format. So somehow I am in the rescue... mini web server and upload that file and chugs away as uploading. and done. and for the 37th time will not recog my login creds. but hey only been 3 hrs on this today...almost miller time

I cant believe I let miller time pass and kept at this. I now have installed Asuswrt-Merlin 386.13 which was my goal as my working ac5300 is # 384. I was believing that the manual ip assignment limit would increase to 128 the limit on my original in use 5300 using 384.19....However it stayed at 64. grrrr. But I will take the win I have. and much appreciated to those who replied back. to my cries of pain.

I was believing that the manual ip assignment limit would increase to 128 the limit on my original in use 5300 using 384.19....However it stayed at 64. grrrr. But I will take the win I have.
If you haven't already done so take a look at the YazDHCP addon script. I may increase the number of manual IP assignments from 64 to 128 (possibly on certain routers).

Good to hear it finally worked, but I'm not sure this old EoL router is the right device for 85+ clients. May not hold for very long before issues start creeping up. I'm assuming most are IoTs on a single 2.4GHz radio. I would go for something better than a home AIO router instead.

I get that....I am looking to make the next level jump. The ac5300 has served very well for 4 years . I have no complaints about it. My needs are not great.
1. Excellent WIFI coverage
2. Easy to sort & print DHCP pages
3. I have 3 older routers used as access points and no issues with the 5300
4. Manual assign ip limit says 128 but reality is about 78 which is a pain.

which forum is best for me to post requesting advice on what best suits my needs?

Thanks in advance