What's new

Upgrade from AC66U to maximize NAS performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xlid

New Around Here
Considering upgrading my AC66U to improve my NAS setup. At some point I may upgrade the NAS network card to 10 gbps but right now this is not likely to happen.
Most of the time, Ethernet is not heavily used, and my current clients support 2x2 MIMO on Wi-Fi 6 (ax@5 GHz), with a possible future upgrade to Wi-Fi 6E (ax@6 GHz).
I'm currently getting around 600-700 Mbps from my ISP, which is likely to remain the case for the next 2-3 years and the AC66U is currently sitting behind ZTE mc801a (with disabled wifi) as AP.

I'm looking at four routers in different ranges: Tp link AX80, BE550, Asus AX89X and AX88U Pro, but I’m unsure which is the best fit for my case.
BE550 is Wi-Fi 7, so it could offer future-proofing as new devices come out.
AX89X has 10 Gbps ports, which might be useful later, and it’s known for its stability and speeds, though it’s Wi-Fi 6.
AX88U Pro seems like a solid choice for my current situation and is slightly cheaper.
AX80 well price...

My goal is to have a stable connection, maximize NAS performance with current HDD read/write limits, and achieve the fastest possible local Wi-Fi speeds.
My workstation is only 1-2 meters from the router, so range is not an issue.

Do you have any thoughts on these models or would you recommend another option that I might have missed?

Last edited:
Hard wire your workstation to the router. Your NAS and clients will rarely saturate a Gbit/s ethernet unless you are doing large file transfers. With wifi6, your clients are basically doing as well as they can for performance. You are not likely to see improvement in range or coverage changing to AX. A 2x2 device is in the 600-800 Mbit/s wifi transfer range, so moving up from AC to AX may not really change things.

If the AC66U is no longer supported with firmware updates, then yes, upgrade to the least expensive and expected longest support AX router. Ignore 10Gbit/s interfaces for now.

This setup is basically in the sweet spot for performance and budget.

You're asking how to "maximize NAS performance" but you provide absolutely no information about the NAS (other than it doesn't have 10GbE), its workload or its clients. 🤷‍♂️