What's new

Upgrade from AirPort Extreme with logging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mmesford

New Around Here
Hi,

I’m looking for advice on buying a new router. Our ISP connection is usually around 200MBS download. We don’t have a large house but at the far end of the range, maybe 25’ through a floor and a wall, we only have about 2MBS. The best we have in any of the rooms we hang out in is 100MBS. If we have guests we may have as many as 10 devices connected but normally it’s only 3 or 4 wifi connections at any given time. But we also have quite a few Ethernet connected devices, AppleTV, home automation unit, printer, etc. Our current router is a 4th gen AirPort Extreme and we have a network switch as well.

In addition to better performance I want to be able to have detailed logging of our network usage. I’d like to be able to determine what it is that makes our connection slow to a crawl at times. I’m also just a titch paranoid about what some of these IoT things are doing. I’m looking at using the PeakHour app but it’s hard to determine which routers will work with it. I had decided to buy the TP-Link Archer C2300 but it doesn’t work with PeakHour. Shopping for a router is confusing enough. Determining compatibility with an app increases it by an order of magnitude.

I don’t need a super-fancy router, I don’t think. I just want something that will handle all my devices at a reasonable speed at 25’ and allow me to see what’s going on.

Any suggestions?

Good offers on amazon ASUS Rt-ac86u. Run a cat 6 ftp cable up to the next floor and put the Airport in AP mode. Much more reliable that repeating the wireless. That’ll fix the poor Wi-fi through thick floors. It has logging with a nice WebUi. Use Merlin-wrt software on it.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!