What's new

upgrade router - thinking mesh possibly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blargman

New Around Here
I've been disappointed with my speed of the Linksys E4200v1, even with the ethernet connection. It maxes out at about 120mbps, and doesn't come anywhere near the gigabit speeds I get when I connect my desktop directly to the FTTH adapter. So I'm looking to upgrade.

I have a larger apartment(1750 sq ft), in an |_ shape configuration of equal distance about. The router currently sits in the bend area of the apartment and I'm not getting the best wireless signal at the ends of the apartment. I attached a picture of the local networks. My currently used connection is networrk5g

I was thinking of getting a R7800, as it looks like a nice router and a decent upgrade from my E4200, but perhaps a mesh system would be better? The top rated one on this site is the Orbi it looks like, Anything I should look out for in regards to purchasing that if I decide to? Any gotchas? I'm not too concerned about software functionality. I just need a good solid wifi signal for my laptop/multiple consoles and phones, and a reliable gbit conenction for my desktop (which is located next to the router currently). I'd just prefer my own network to be the best signal in my own apartment!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 4.14.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 4.14.41 AM.png
    221.4 KB · Views: 588
You shouldn't need a mesh system. The R7800 has great range and should easily handle your apartment. There's also the excellent Synology RT2600ac and Asus RT-AC86U. These are $200 routers that will do the job.