What's new

Upgraded from RT-AC68U to RT-AC86U. Now my file sharing is all messed up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ohia

Occasional Visitor
In a nutshell: ever since I upgraded from an RT-AC68U (AsusWRT-Merlin) to a RT-AC86U (stock firmware), I can no longer share files between my Mac and PC. I can ftp from my PC (connected via ethernet) to my MacBook (wireless), but only if I explicitly use the IP address (not machine name).
I am also unable to browse for network printers.
Needless to say all the above used to work. I've made sure the correct Samba workgroup is specified in the router's config. I should also add that I am using the latest firmware, and input all the settings manually to avoid any corruption. I am using the same wireless SSID as before, but that shouldn't make a difference?

Would be grateful for any tips if this might sound familiar to you. Thanks!

Having to use an IP instead of a name either implies dynamic dns updates haven't occurred or you're not referencing your router for dns. Use nslookup or even ping to determine if you can resolve local names and ensure you're using the router's IP as your dns server. Check system log -> dhcp leases and see if the hostname is updating.

Sorry I'm on merlin so maybe some info is not so easily accessible.

Are you using the router's samba server and printer sharing or is this a separate server?

It's unlikely you have AP isolation enabled but make sure that is off.

Also to be safe, maybe upgrade to merlin unless you're planning on using aimesh :)

Thanks for your reply! I checked all the settings you mentioned, as expected they were already correct...
I have the feeling this might actually be a Mac-related issue. I am also tempted to upgrade to Merlin, although I was hoping to put my old AC68U to use via AiMesh. That will work, right?

Thanks for your reply! I checked all the settings you mentioned, as expected they were already correct...
I have the feeling this might actually be a Mac-related issue. I am also tempted to upgrade to Merlin, although I was hoping to put my old AC68U to use via AiMesh. That will work, right?

The stock 68U supports AiMesh; Merlin does not.

The 68U does not support the Smart Connect node band steering feature, so expect to use separate SSIDs for each band.

OE

The stock 68U supports AiMesh; Merlin does not.

The 68U does not support the Smart Connect node band steering feature, so expect to use separate SSIDs for each band.

OE

Thanks for your reply - and for your AiMesh notes, much appreciated! Yes, I would have to reflash my AC68U back to stock. Given your experience with AiMesh (you used two AC86Us so were able to use Smart Connect), would you say it's worthwhile? I only will use those two routers, I could set up the 68U as a Repeater or Media Bridge instead...

Thanks for your reply - and for your AiMesh notes, much appreciated! Yes, I would have to reflash my AC68U back to stock. Given your experience with AiMesh (you used two AC86Us so were able to use Smart Connect), would you say it's worthwhile? I only will use those two routers, I could set up the 68U as a Repeater or Media Bridge instead...

I had a house AC68 router and a semi-detached garage N66 repeater. This was to put WLAN and LAN in the garage without having to run a cable somehow. The SSIDs were separate.

The garage LAN worked well enough for a VoIP extension, but all of the SSIDs and the less than seamless roaming was not great, including AC to N. And speed tests yielded less than ISP speed.

When I became aware of AiMesh, I bought a second AC68U and setup a 2xRT-AC68U AiMesh. It worked better, but the backhaul seemed to be at its limit (too many brick walls) and I learned that Smart Connect was not supported. I decided that the 68Us fall short of the promise.

So, I jumped on a Micro Center/ASUS MIR deal for two 86Us for $280, and sold the new 68U to a brother and gave the used 68U to a Grandma. I prefer keeping my two nodes identical (matching range) in case it helps and to have the option to easily change their roles in the AiMesh, if troubleshooting.

The 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh has been worthwhile. 20%? better range than the 68Us... solved my marginal wireless backhaul issue and provide coverage inside and outside on 2 plus acres. And Smart Connect makes using a single SSID possible... works here for my usage... the roaming is more seamless than ever.

The only real problem is ASUS seems to be struggling with their firmware quality control during this AiMesh introduction... more than before it. But they seem to be trying and the AiMesh system I'm using is working, so I'm sticking with it... at least until China surrounds Taiwan with their navy.

OE

Last edited:
The 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh has been worthwhile. 20%? better range than the 68Us... solved my marginal wireless backhaul issue and provide coverage inside and outside on 2 plus acres. And Smart Connect makes using a single SSID possible... works here for my usage... the roaming is more seamless than ever.

Appreciate your reply. I can imagine how powerful a 2x AC86U AiMesh must be. Unfortunately, I can't really justify buying yet another router, even the upgrade from the 68U wasn't strictly necessary. My apartment is only about 1,000 sq. ft (but concrete walls), so I'm hoping the 86U's slightly better range will eliminate the need for a second router entirely...

It's too bad we need to choose between Merlin's firmware and AiMesh. I think I will go with the former for now.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!