What's new

Upgraded to Netgear R6100: Questions & Need Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HedonistiX

New Around Here
Hello,

I recently replaced my stock AT&T U-Verse router with Netgear R6100. Main reason being I bought a new Smart TV, which could not pick up wireless signal from old router. After reading in some TV forums, I concluded this newer TV is not compatible with old router (not sure if it's N or G, it's 1 year old). The TV has since connected flawlessly after I replaced the router.

Questions:
(these may be super basic, please go easy on me)

1. How do I "delete" my old wifi ID from my old router? Even though old router is disconnected, this old wifi ID is still "available". I finally completed the move to the new wifi ID as "default" wifi of all our gadgets: desk/laptop/iPhones/iPad/PS3, ROKU3, etc. But the old wifi ID is still there as "available". It may also be good for my education how this is possible, i.e.: in my mind, when I unplugged the old router, the old wifi ID should not be showing anymore. Also, will this old wifi ID pose any security issue?

2. Our wireless U-Verse box stopped working properly since I replaced the router. It is asking me to "connect", push WPS, it will connect and show pictures, then will stop after 2-3 mins and will ask me to reset the box again. I already tried resetting and the problem persists. 2 potential problems: defective box or box is "confused" with the 2 existing wifi connections (old and new). I tend to think the box is defective because it will connect and show proper picture for 2-3 mins before it starts to freeze and ask me to reset, but then again, probably related to my question No.1, it may also be possible the box can't connect properly to the new router. And not sure if this is a related info: the main U-Verse box is working fine because it is sitting next to the router and I have Ethernet connection from box to router. I do not know how exactly the wireless box work but guessing there should be some sort of connection to the main box as well as the router.

Appreciate the help!

--H

Hello,

I recently replaced my stock AT&T U-Verse router with Netgear R6100. Main reason being I bought a new Smart TV, which could not pick up wireless signal from old router. After reading in some TV forums, I concluded this newer TV is not compatible with old router (not sure if it's N or G, it's 1 year old). The TV has since connected flawlessly after I replaced the router.

Questions:
(these may be super basic, please go easy on me)

1. How do I "delete" my old wifi ID from my old router? Even though old router is disconnected, this old wifi ID is still "available". I finally completed the move to the new wifi ID as "default" wifi of all our gadgets: desk/laptop/iPhones/iPad/PS3, ROKU3, etc. But the old wifi ID is still there as "available". It may also be good for my education how this is possible, i.e.: in my mind, when I unplugged the old router, the old wifi ID should not be showing anymore. Also, will this old wifi ID pose any security issue?

2. Our wireless U-Verse box stopped working properly since I replaced the router. It is asking me to "connect", push WPS, it will connect and show pictures, then will stop after 2-3 mins and will ask me to reset the box again. I already tried resetting and the problem persists. 2 potential problems: defective box or box is "confused" with the 2 existing wifi connections (old and new). I tend to think the box is defective because it will connect and show proper picture for 2-3 mins before it starts to freeze and ask me to reset, but then again, probably related to my question No.1, it may also be possible the box can't connect properly to the new router. And not sure if this is a related info: the main U-Verse box is working fine because it is sitting next to the router and I have Ethernet connection from box to router. I do not know how exactly the wireless box work but guessing there should be some sort of connection to the main box as well as the router.

Appreciate the help!

--H

It's best to keep the U-verse as the main router with WiFi off and set your new R6100 router as an AP. This way, the U-verse box will work without a hitch

It's best to keep the U-verse as the main router with WiFi off and set your new R6100 router as an AP. This way, the U-verse box will work without a hitch
-----

Thanks, theveterans .... Naturally, my follow-up question will be: how do I do that? I got the old U-verse router on me now, it's a Motorola VAP2500 with only 1 button WPS. How should I connect the 2 routers (i.e.: make the R6100 the AP and old router as main) and how do I turn off the wifi on the U-verse router?

Darknessrise,

Thanks for the response, I will give it a try tonight. Yet another follow up questions:

1. Does it matter if I use my old or new wifi ID? (or is it better to create another fresh one?)

2. I haven't got a chance to read about what/how AP functions, but will my new TV have the same "no wifi connection" problem that I had if I reconnect the Motorola VAP2500 router? or it will recognize the R6100?

--H

Darknessrise,

So I got a new wireless cable box from U-verse and was able to (re)connect it per your awesome step-by-step instructions. Everything works now.

Couple random outstanding questions/comments:

1. The Netgear "routerlogin.com" site is so weak, sometimes it just did not show anything or indicating it accepted the changes I made, I had to restart my browser to see those changes. Is this normal?

2. I am assuming the R6100 is now effectively the router in my network, I'm drawing this conclusion from the disappearance of my "old" wifi ID when I search for wifi network (even though when I logged into U-verse setting, the "old" wifi id is still showing on the 2Wire setting, but I disabled the wireless interface per your instruction on step 5). All devices are now connected to the "new" wifi ID I set up via the R6100. Is this a right assumption?

3. What are the benefits, if any, for me to use the R6100 (in this case as the AP), other than the fact now my smart TV can recognize the wireless signal? I also just confirmed the AT&T U-Verse 2Wire Gateway is B/G. I'm assuming my new smart TV prefers N or newer. I think I can unplug the R6100 and will still have all devices - except for the smart TV wireless functionalities - work. Is using R6100 AC router as an AP making any difference with speed or am I just hooking 1 additional gear in the R6100 to facilitate the wireless connection with my new TV?

Thanks again for all the help!

--H

I'm seeing these on the Netgear UI:
2.4GHz: channel 1, up to 300 Mbps ---> I selected channel 1, 300 Mbps was the default, I take it I can just leave it here instead of changing it to 145?
5.0GHz: channel 153, up to 867 Mbps ---> I did not change this per your last instruction max dropdown option is 867 Mbps (no 1200 option)

Looking at the list of devices on the 2Wire, I'm seeing 13 active devices with "Ethernet" Interface. I'm assuming this is the way it should be, i.e.: I connected via wire the R6100 to the 2Wire, disabled the 2Wire wireless so all devices are connected to R6100 (aka the AP)? Looking at more details, I can also see some devices are at the 5.0 the other at 2.4. Does this mean all devices - other than wireless U-verse box - are now connected to R6100?

I guess that's the previous problem I had with the pixelated pictures, I connected it to the R6100 wireless.

Thanks!

If you really wanted to confirm that the U-verse receiver is connected to the VAP2500 and not the R6100/everything else is connected to the R6100, just unplug the R6100 for a few minutes and see if your receiver loses signal. If all devices, except for the receiver disconnect, then you should be fine.

3) Well, it is another thing to get in the way/complicate your install on top of the existing 2Wire and Motorola VAP2500 dedicated to your U-verse TVs. I would use the Netgear though instead of the 2Wire for your existing connections. The wireless G of the 2wire is a max of 54 Mbps(usually about half or less in real world conditions when it comes to wireless) in the 2.4 GHz band and the R6100 can do up to 300 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band with N depending on how many streams your client can use at once.
---

I re-read one of your comments No 3) from another thread, with my current setup, am I taking any advantage of the superiority of the R6100 over the 2Wire or do I have to change/redo the connection in order to do so?

Thanks!

For the most part you are. Some features are lost in access point mode, but most wouldn't work right with the gateway/U-verse anyway.
---

Very cool .... thanks for all your help!
(if only this site has an IM feature for us to get real time help ..... :))

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!