What's new

Upgrading a Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A little more detail would be great before we all start guessing every possible scenario we can cover with that statement.

Things like what firmware is on now, what firmware you want installed and what and how your router is used is a good start.

You forgot the secret handshake.

It is a Bear Wave !!!

I have seen or read many different options for upgrading: There is a 30/30/30 then there is a WDS press and hold, there is a Press Reset and hold while turning Off/On, there is UnPlug all Media while Turning Off/On and hold the Power Button and those are only a few I have ran across.

I was going from RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_378.6065 to RT-AC68U_378.54_2 (Merlins of course) which I am very happy with this one, the previous was choking up the Router all the time.

I just Run it anad turned it Off/On after Updated directly.

But I was really wondering which was the 'rigth' sequence.

It is a Bear Wave !!!

I have seen or read many different options for upgrading: There is a 30/30/30 then there is a WDS press and hold, there is a Press Reset and hold while turning Off/On, there is UnPlug all Media while Turning Off/On and hold the Power Button and those are only a few I have ran across.

I was going from RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_378.6065 to RT-AC68U_378.54_2 (Merlins of course) which I am very happy with this one, the previous was choking up the Router all the time.

30/30/30 resets do not work with Asus routers so thats a waste of time. Holding the reset button for 15 seconds works well and the WPS button method also works every time.

It is a Bear Wave !!!

My idea about f/w is leave it alone if it works well for you. Or if you have valid reason to upgrade and see, then go ahead, If you don't like newer f/w you can revert back. Because there is newer version is not a good reason as far as I am concerned.

My idea about f/w is leave it alone if it works well for you. Or if you have valid reason to upgrade and see, then go ahead, If you don't like newer f/w you can revert back. Because there is newer version is not a good reason as far as I am concerned.

Very wise indeed !!!