What's new

Upgrading Asus - can i keep static IP settings config?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomgru

Occasional Visitor
I have an N56U that i'm thinking about upgrading. Just not the range I want in a 3700 sq. ft. house, with lots of attempts to reposition, etc...

my question is... I run a fairly large home automation setup, and have most of my "clients" setup with static IP addresses... maybe 20+. I really don't want to re-enter all of those.

Can I just backup the current configuration from my existing Asus and restore to the new one, or will that cause other issues that I maybe want to leave behind?

thanks.

I have an N56U that i'm thinking about upgrading. Just not the range I want in a 3700 sq. ft. house, with lots of attempts to reposition, etc...

my question is... I run a fairly large home automation setup, and have most of my "clients" setup with static IP addresses... maybe 20+. I really don't want to re-enter all of those.

Can I just backup the current configuration from my existing Asus and restore to the new one, or will that cause other issues that I maybe want to leave behind?

thanks.

No, but for the particular case of static lease, it's easy to retrieve and restore just that particular setting, over telnet/SSH.

Retrieve it with:

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

And restore it with:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="what-you-noted-from-the-previous-command"
nvram commit

thanks for quick reply. fairly new at SSH...

I can use Putty or WinSCP to log into router....

Then run the code to get the list from the older router? (assume it downloads somewhere?)

Then install new router... SSH in to that one, and run the next piece of code, where after the "=" sign is the name/location of the list I downloaded?

sorry for newbie questions.

thanks for quick reply. fairly new at SSH...

I can use Putty or WinSCP to log into router....

Then run the code to get the list from the older router? (assume it downloads somewhere?)

The result will appear in your window. Simply copy that result to a text file, and you can paste it back when you run the "nvram set" command on the new router.

The result will appear in your window. Simply copy that result to a text file, and you can paste it back when you run the "nvram set" command on the new router.
got it... thanks.

I'm thinking the RT-AC68P as an upgrade... a bit pricey, but can get it locally and should protect my needs for awhile. See any issues, assuming I keep up with the firmware?

EDIT : if I get a netgear, will this still work?

Last edited:

You could keep the N56U as your router and add a wired access point (or another router in AP mode). Run the cat6 cable as far as possible to get max separation of the two WiFi radios. The access point device does not need to be the same brand as the existing router.

got it... thanks.

I'm thinking the RT-AC68P as an upgrade... a bit pricey, but can get it locally and should protect my needs for awhile. See any issues, assuming I keep up with the firmware?

Nothing specific.

EDIT : if I get a netgear, will this still work?

No, as this is a totally different firmware. No idea what format and variable name Netgear uses when storing DHCP static leases.