What's new

Upgrading my current setup.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houghton19

Regular Contributor
I currently have a ASUS 5300 running merlin, I have FTTC and run via a openreach white modem. I currently struggle to get more than about 50meg.

Cable is not available in my area!

I run speed tests on my 4G sim and can achieve 70+ meg...... last night it topped 103meg.

I am thinking of getting a Vodafone sim as these now advertise unlimited 5G and max speed for £30 a month....

I have a TP link LtE modem that I can plug into the router via usb and have tested this works previously.

So also thinking about getting a second asus 5300 to put into the loft with the 4G sim connected too, I’m hoping being higher might give me a faster connection and running the 2 asus on asus aimesh.

Then when 5G is in my area upgrade to a 5G dongle and hopefully have even faster speeds.

Can anyone see any issue with this? Other advice?

Thanks.

you have to test it, nobody could seriously answer this. It is even dependent on exact location and LTE-radio there. Turn it some degrees may change things.
Would be good to have direct sight to the 5G antenna of you mobile operator.

Last edited:
1) Do you really need the extra "speed" , most people wouldn't see any difference between 50+70 Mbps in normal use and pings will be much higher.

2) Are you sure you want to rely on Vodafone , their service suffers far more downtime than your ISP ever will.

3) You have FTTC at present , have you asked if GFast or FTTP/H are coming to your area yet? Both are being rolled out in many parts of the UK.

Thank you both for the replies.

1) Need is maybe not the correct word as we do survive on 45/50 meg that we have. However I would like it. I notice sometimes when I’m downloading and streaming I get buffering. This never happened on my old 330 meg circuit. We moved house and can’t get that now.

2) I just took out a 30 day rolling contract as I can cancel in 14 days. I have ran a few speed tests and no doesn’t get more than 20meg..... was told 5G is here soon so that was part of my idea.

3) We live in a little village with G.fast but due to my cable run being about 900m I’m outside the 300m limit for Gfast. Also no FTTP here being rolled out for a while. (I actually work for openreach so I know about the services I can’t get )