What's new

Upgrading nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jaded5542

Occasional Visitor
I have a paid of XT8's I'm looking at the BE88U (any good BTW?) I'm wondering is there any easy way to swap my main XT8 to a node transfering the current settings? IE: reserved IP's/SSID?

The XT8's are running Merlin.

The XT8's are running Merlin.

For this change you have to setup your new main router from scratch. Too wide gap in hardware and units run on different firmware.

I'm looking at the BE88U (any good BTW?)

RT-BE88U runs on 3.0.0.6 firmware, ZenWiFi XT8 runs on 3.0.0.4 firmware - you can't have the new Asuswrt 5.0 features propagated to nodes. RT-BE88U is dual-band router, ZenWiFi XT8 is tri-band - you can't have dedicated wireless backhaul in case you use wireless AiMesh. Features and radios disbalanced system with potentially lower Wi-Fi performance because of sharded backhaul. If still good for you - go ahead. I personally don't like the idea.

For this change you have to setup your new main router from scratch. Too wide gap in hardware and units run on different firmware.

RT-BE88U runs on 3.0.0.6 firmware, ZenWiFi XT8 runs on 3.0.0.4 firmware - you can't have the new Asuswrt 5.0 features propagated to nodes. RT-BE88U is dual-band router, ZenWiFi XT8 is tri-band - you can't have dedicated wireless backhaul in case you use wireless AiMesh. Features and radios disbalanced system with potentially lower Wi-Fi performance because of sharded backhaul. If still good for you - go ahead. I personally don't like the idea.
I'm only really looking at it because of the vast amount of LAN ports on it vs the XT8.

In relation to the Tri Band, it's been a sore point for many uses for being shirt/unstable, luckily I have it hardwire for the backhaul.

My only use for the additional 2.5g ports is more to get media out to TV's from my Media NAS, I'm thinking I'll wait till next year.

As for the reserved IP addresses, switch them to static addresses then when you get a new router you do not have to recreate the reserved list.

If you need faster LAN better get 2.5GbE switch. It will come much cheaper and the result will be the same.
I've got 2 8 Port ones from TP-Link ATM, was if I get the new modem I do away with a power brick and tidy up some cabling runs