What's new

upgrading router - biggest concern is walls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vivithemage

Occasional Visitor
I have a old dd-wrt linksys wrt54g router setup and it works OK in my 900 square foot apartment, but there are actually rooms it has no coverage.

I was looking to get something newer. I do not need AC, probably never will. The only band I will use is 2.4ghz N. So I need something that can really push that 2.4 through some walls, what routers work best for this?

I am hoping to keep it below $140 USD range.

Thanks!

Think about this, even if the router is broadcasting a really strong signal. All your equipment must respond as strong in return. So there is no super router that covers it all.
Even if the router will cover your whole apartment your clients won't be able to reach the router and it will misbehave.
I suggest you get another router and set it up as AP. And keep your linksys :-D

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I hear ya, the devices are all laptops, or tablets, and are a bit newer. I just know i'll never use AC in the next 2-3 years. If I get something and it doesn't help, worst case i'll return it. I just want advice as to what router can push decently? Should I look at the ones with like 23db boosters on the amplifier?

I have to disagree with both points raised above.

Even a current N Class router will be much better than the decade old design of the WRT54G.

But; an AC Class 1900 router or above will be even better than almost any N Class router currently available when actual network stability and throughput is the criteria.

Of course, I am only considering Asus routers here. With the added stipulation that RMerlin's latest firmware be used too.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19533

very interesting to see, so what sub 150 router will give me a power bump? The two articles don't specifically think it's related to chip, so I am not sure what I can look for.

A sub $150 router that I can recommend is the RT-AC56U. Although it is just an AC 1200 class device, it performs at a much higher level for my customers.

It is not the chip by itself that offers the better performance; it is the synergy of all the parts and the inherent design of the newest devices that offer better performance than even a two or three year old top of the line N 900 class router once could.

I have found that in almost all environments that external antennae are superior to internal antennae designs. But that is not to say that the RT-AC56U with internal antennae and optimal placement in your specific environment would not give a noticeable boost to your wireless devices, including greater range and greater throughput too. Regardless of what programs like inssider may indicate, signal wise.

So, look for at least the RT-AC56U or the RT-AC68U (both with RMerlin firmware) and if possible, test and compare both, then, return the one that isn't needed.

shouldn't I just go with a RT-AC66U then?

Is the RT-N66U not that big of a bump because it has no AC 'synergy'? haha

If walls are simple two-layer drywall, not masonry or lath, their attenuation is not high. Floors can be, due to wooden subfloors.

shouldn't I just go with a RT-AC66U then?

Is the RT-N66U not that big of a bump because it has no AC 'synergy'? haha

They're plaster and lathe :s

In my experience, the RT-AC66U is not worth buying. Easily equaled or surpassed (again; depending on the specific environment I tested in) by the RT-AC56U. (Keep in mind that the RT-AC66U has almost identical hardware to the RT-N66U too).

Considering your second quote though... seems like an external antenna equipped router would be best for your situation.

Also, (even with your current router), try optimally placing it.

Optimal placement would be at least a metre from all walls/ceiling and as centrally located in the apartment as possible... and; as high as possible to the ceiling too. In this position, you can then try placing the three antenna in a 'W' configuration and then fine tune/adjust from there.

Fine tuning would be trying different channels and orientations (even orientations you think should not work; keep a log). You may even find that your current router is sufficient, for now.

I have tried a bunch of orientations, but I am limited in where it can be, as that is where the modem is. I didn't want to have ethernet running on the floor or muck with powerline.

Why do you say the AC56U is better then the AC66U ?

ok, so your goal is high powered 2.4ghz N for a 900sqft Apartment. I don't have experience with the AC66U, but I can attest to the performance of the N66U and the AC56U.

1.) pretty much any router/ap that somebody might suggest on this forum will slaughter the wifi performance of that WRT54G. consider junking it. [1]

2.) the AC56U/R is a great router and would with near certainty cover your needs. It's a dual core router, great for things like running a VPN server or client.

You are still dealing with N-wifi, as am I. My suggestion would be to get an N66U (or N66R). It does have similar internals as the AC66U as L&LD suggests, but those internals (cpu) still blow that WRT54G away. this is most significant for nice, wide internet connections. In my ~1600sqft second story apartment, the N66U covers everything and I still have a solid signal (though low throughput) 300ft out my front door.

[1]If you have less than like a 35mbit connection, you could leave the WRT54G as a router and connect the N66U to that in 'AP mode', giving you some room to better position the AP. that said, don't feel bad about getting rid of the WRT54G. if you are approaching that level of bandwidth and beyond, you are probably seriously working that thing as it is.

whatever router you decide to get, do be sure to set it to the least congested channel between 1, 6 or 11 and the channel width to 20mhz.

do/did you play FW or aeRO? :p

I have tried a bunch of orientations, but I am limited in where it can be, as that is where the modem is. I didn't want to have ethernet running on the floor or muck with powerline.

11AC won't help coverage.
You can use a 100 watt WiFi router (if one existed it would be illegal).
That helps only in ONE direction.
The client devices' signals stay week.

We call this an imbalanced link.
Like a rock band's amplifiers.

Cure is to reposition the WiFi router or add an access point (AP). Connect AP to router via IP over power line or by IP over in-wall TV coax (MoCA)

No magic.

Well, Ethernet doesn't need to be running on the floor and I would stay far away from powerline adaptors too.

But you may be surprised what a relatively small change can make to the usability of the signal. Could you provide a rough diagram of your layout and the location of the router?

The RT-AC56U is better than the higher priced RT-AC66U because it has a more powerful (2 core) cpu, offers second generation AC Class benefits and design optimizations and has proven to be a solid performer for my customers. Did I mention it costs less than the generation 1 AC Class RT-AC66U too? :)

If you're unable to move your router even one wall closer towards the center of all the spaces you want wireless in, you may never find a router that can do so from the location you have it now.

Placing near the ceiling is possibly the worst place to place it, as it sounds like a single story apartment (at 900sq-ft, I'd assume so). On a desk is likely the best place, as centrally located as possible. You want it as close to as level with where you are using the wireless device as possible (which is generally sitting or standing, so you want it placed around 4ft in height, not up around 8ft+).

External antennas would be the best bet, if you can't cover 900sq-ft with the WRT54g right now, any of the others menthing here will be an improvement, just maybe not a huge improvement if you can't actually get signal at all (laws of physics here, 802.11n is a bit better for reasons, but 11ac isn't going to really improve it, but it WILL improve performance, even with older devices, in locations where you CAN get signal...it just won't really boost the distance at which you can get a signal).

Something with external antennas is the best way to go. Then go bigger. It doesn't improve things much, but between a newer 11n/11ac router, external antennas and BIGGER ones (try 7/9dBi omnidirectional antennas), it might be enough to get coverage everywhere.

Also, (even with your current router), try optimally placing it.

Optimal placement would be at least a metre from all walls/ceiling and as centrally located in the apartment as possible... and; as high as possible to the ceiling too. In this position, you can then try placing the three antenna in a 'W' configuration and then fine tune/adjust from there.

Placing near the ceiling is possibly the worst place to place it, as it sounds like a single story apartment (at 900sq-ft, I'd assume so). On a desk is likely the best place, as centrally located as possible. You want it as close to as level with where you are using the wireless device as possible (which is generally sitting or standing, so you want it placed around 4ft in height, not up around 8ft+).

I did not suggest to place the router at 8' ceiling height. :)

Placing it at the 4 foot mark is the worst place. Many, many more obstacles at that height to attenuate and distort the signal. Furniture, other electrical devices, other people, etc.

Placing the router higher is more important if the location is less than about 10' above ground level, but even then, it still helps.

ok, so your goal is high powered 2.4ghz N for a 900sqft Apartment. I don't have experience with the AC66U, but I can attest to the performance of the N66U and the AC56U.

1.) pretty much any router/ap that somebody might suggest on this forum will slaughter the wifi performance of that WRT54G. consider junking it. [1]

2.) the AC56U/R is a great router and would with near certainty cover your needs. It's a dual core router, great for things like running a VPN server or client.

You are still dealing with N-wifi, as am I. My suggestion would be to get an N66U (or N66R). It does have similar internals as the AC66U as L&LD suggests, but those internals (cpu) still blow that WRT54G away. this is most significant for nice, wide internet connections. In my ~1600sqft second story apartment, the N66U covers everything and I still have a solid signal (though low throughput) 300ft out my front door.

[1]If you have less than like a 35mbit connection, you could leave the WRT54G as a router and connect the N66U to that in 'AP mode', giving you some room to better position the AP. that said, don't feel bad about getting rid of the WRT54G. if you are approaching that level of bandwidth and beyond, you are probably seriously working that thing as it is.

whatever router you decide to get, do be sure to set it to the least congested channel between 1, 6 or 11 and the channel width to 20mhz.

do/did you play FW or aeRO? :p

I played RO, never went outside the official servers though. Right now I play a lot of CSGO, WoW, and my PS4. I have given up most korean mmorpg's, haha.

You'll probably hate me, but I have 1GB up and 1GB down via FTTH with USI internet...so my internet pipe is usually restricted by my poor old butt router. I occasionally just hardwire so I can get the full 1GBPS, again, part of the reason I want to upgrade is for my wired desktop to get gigabit.

SO the real question, RT-N66U for $120 or a RT-AC56U for$105?

I played RO, never went outside the official servers though. Right now I play a lot of CSGO, WoW, and my PS4. I have given up most korean mmorpg's, haha.

You'll probably hate me, but I have 1GB up and 1GB down via FTTH with USI internet...so my internet pipe is usually restricted by my poor old butt router. I occasionally just hardwire so I can get the full 1GBPS, again, part of the reason I want to upgrade is for my wired desktop to get gigabit.

SO the real question, RT-N66U for $120 or a RT-AC56U for$105?

my god. ok, between the options listed, definitely the ac56 as it will offer the better routing performance and the wifi should be sufficient. i'd also seriously consider something along the lines of the ac68u. it also comes in white (ac68w) :D

I figured it was unlikely, but I don't see too many vivi's around, so I had to ask :p

I have seen a handful of vivi the mage's when gaming for the last 10-15 years online. It's a handle I picked in middle school and have kept ever since, haha.

The 68U looks nice, but I may just save the $50 and grab the AC1200 version, it looks like they beefed up the firmware to make 2.4ghz pretty reliable. Which were the concerns many people had previously.