What's new

Upgrading Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wally33

New Around Here
I'm looking to upgrade my Linksys WRT160N.
I have a 6 Mbps DSL connection (unfortunately there are no other options available where I live). The old Linksys performs well throughout the house, as measured with on-line throughput speedtests, usually getting 5-5.5 Mbps, but with only one device accessing the router.
After reading lots of reviews, ratings and forum threads, I'm thinking TP-LINK AC1750 C7.
So here's my question: will a new router like the C7 improve the overall performance of my network, especially when 2 or 3 devices are connected at the same time? I'm looking to make the best of my pokey internet connection.

On that DSL line, you won't be likely to see much speed improvement from upgrading the router. Are you running the latest firmware for it to be sure to have the most recent security fixes? You might want to save your money until either the linksys dies or you get a better internet provider. The router market is very competitive and price/performance gets better all the time.

Several of the satellite providers have decent performance now to areas that are otherwise poorly served. I have used Exede for several years and for what it is, it is ok. I routinely see speeds 2-3x what you are getting. The latency and the usage caps are the big negatives.

Satellite TV - 22,000 miles out from the equator. Geosynchronous.
Round-trip time-of-flight of the signal: 0.6 second. That's ping time.
They do speed this up for certain use cases and web content type.
And the data caps are austere.

Years back, we had hoped for low earth orbit high speed internet from Qualcomm's grand experiment. Its business model flopped.

If you are in deep rural, evel Verizon 3G would be better. Or Verizon may well have built out 4G/LTE in your rural area - esp. if you setup an gain antenna aimed at their cell site. But celluar has nasty data caps too.
eMail and light web surfing can be OK. No games. No streaming Netflix movies.

The best way to make use of your internet is to use a sophisticated router like pfsense or mikrotik. You can also use a 3rd party firmware like openwrt although all the options require skill.

Although getting AC wireless wont improve speeds for multiple clients or internet speed from wifi you will however get faster speeds for LAN.