What's new

Upgrading to 2.5GbE - avoid Intel and go Realtek?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Buying 10G is hot, power hungry, expensive, and overkill.
Buying used 10G is hot, power hungry, still expensive, has zero warranty, and overkill.

10G makes sense for WAN or an uplink but only if that is actually used. Moving to a 100% 100G home network? :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I am going to avoid intel and plan for just RTL8125B.

Buying 10G is hot, power hungry, expensive, and overkill.
Buying used 10G is hot, power hungry, still expensive, has zero warranty, and overkill.

10G makes sense for WAN or an uplink but only if that is actually used. Moving to a 100% 100G home network? :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I am going to avoid intel and plan for just RTL8125B.
The Intel X710-T2L probably pulls the least power for 10gig. It is more than 1 gig but not bad.

I am only going to use Intel and no Realtek.

Hard to recall, I think I was with the latest one, I think I rolled back to 2.2.2.0.

I do have 1Gb DL ISP, but get 700Mbps max. Could be playing with the NIC settings when troubleshooting before changing out the driver.
as in these settings. (Handle on TPU is Mechtech)
View attachment 60737
That's not your NIC, that's something else. I get 10 Gbps out of my Aquantia cards, or at least as close as you get minus the overheads.

I am only going to use Intel and no Realtek.
Good for you, but Intel screwed up their 2.5 Gbps Ethernet chips, so those are best avoided, which is what this thread stared out about, but you seem to love to derail discussions and talk about something irrelevant.