What's new

UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) Adversely Affects WiFi Performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jzchen

Regular Contributor
I recently purchased a BQ16 Pro to patch up (horribly) poor WiFi speed in my sleeping quarters. I plugged it into the 120 V wall outlet typical of here in the USA. Everything including WiFi ran great. Then I decided to shore it up with a UPS so if power went out my ASUS network would not shut down. I did not get a pure sine wave version so it is specifically what's called a simulated sine wave (non-pure sine wave) UPS. Low and behold, TERRIBLE WiFi speed!

Ethernet does not seem affected but WiFi becomes terrible!!! (See attached speed test screenshot).

I think I finally found the root of my home WiFi problem. (Some AC adapters may be immune while others sensitive. A recently added RT-AX5400 continued to use the same AC adapter from my old RT-AC68U as they listed the same V and A output, so I guess the older ones may be the non-sensitive ones. The new ones tend to cause grave issues with WiFi).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-10-01-02-51-23-64_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-10-01-02-51-23-64_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 6
FWIW - I have a CyberPower AVRG750U which runs a NAS, router and a RPI3 with no issues. We had a power outage of almost an hour a couple of weeks ago and the UPS kept everything running. The UPS is one of those Simulated Sine Wave devices.....

FWIW - I have a CyberPower AVRG750U which runs a NAS, router and a RPI3 with no issues. We had a power outage of almost an hour a couple of weeks ago and the UPS kept everything running. The UPS is one of those Simulated Sine Wave devices.....

Hmm. Thank you. I added a RT-AX5400 a few months ago. I reused the AC adapter from my EOL RT-AC68U. (That one is really old). It has been working great...