What's new

USB drive perms/access missing after 374.41 install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LostKayaker

Occasional Visitor
I just moved from the stock Asus firmware to the 374.41 firmware on my Asus RT-AC68U and, when I went into the Samba tab, I discovered that:

• that the mount point was changed from SDC1 to SDB1.
  • While the folders were listed, the perms were a single line across all perms (See attached screenshot below)
  • Unable to create new folders
  • From a Windows system, while the folders are shown in File Explorer, it throws a perms error when trying to access the folder, even after it prompts for credentials.
  • In Media Server tab, I had to remap all shares to the new mount point but are not available to any DLNA clients now. Update: It appears that DLNA clients can actually see/access/play media.

This drive was integrated and working fine with the stock firmware and was formatted to EXT3. Sounds like a perms issue with the EXT3 format.

The above 3TB drive is hanging off the USB 3 port. I also have a 1.5TB hanging off the USB2 port (not formatted in EXT3) and its came through the process fine.

Any idea??

Thanks,
LK

Attachments

• Asus.RT-AC68U.SMB perms issue.png
    Asus.RT-AC68U.SMB perms issue.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
I would do a factory reset to sort the permission errors as a starting point, always worth it when going from stock due to the changes Merlin makes.

My screens as expected and not like yours.

AIUI it is best not to use a journalling file system with a flash drive due to the extra writing involved.

I would do a factory reset to sort the permission errors as a starting point, always worth it when going from stock due to the changes Merlin makes.

My screens as expected and not like yours.

Thanks. Does doing a factory reset remove the ASUSWRT firmware, and restore to stock firmware? Will I lose all of the configurations I've made? If so, can I reload using the saved settings?

AIUI it is best not to use a journalling file system with a flash drive due to the extra writing involved.

The hard drive attached is not a flash drive but rather a Seagate 3TB USB3 external. As such it won't have the wear/leveling issues.

From the docs I found, using the EXT3 format was supported with the firmware, and it was working fine prior to the firmware update.

you will keep merlins firmware but lose settings, you cannot use a backup as it may carry over the settings causing the issue.

you will keep merlins firmware but lose settings, you cannot use a backup as it may carry over the settings causing the issue.

Thanks much. Looks like this will be a memory test, especially on DHCP. I'm skeptical its settings related as it worked fine before the firmware upgrade. Going to give it a try though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I did a factory reset, and did not reload the previous settings, and the issue with the USB3 external drive, in EXT3 format, remains. DLNA server can see/use it, but not Samba.

UPDATE: I can now get to the folders (and make changes) via UNC, from a Windows system but cannot add/change/ perms or folders within the GUI. Ditto for FTP.

Any suggestions on next steps? Is perhaps EXT3 not supported correctly in this release?

Last edited:
you could try to rename the folders, then create the originals again and copy the files to the new folders?

EXT should work fine, i use EXT4 now.

I also had problems accessing my ext3 formatted hard drive after updating from 40 to 41. I could not add new files in the folders and I could not delete any files or even rename existing folders. I only had read access to anything existing. I could however add new folders to the drive using the router UI.

I ended up copying all files from the drive, re-formatting it, then using the router UI to create the music and video folders and then copy all my files back to the drive.

I used to have my drive formatted NTFS but read that ext3 is better (quicker) for the router. I really have found no real file transfer difference between ext3 and NTFS and am thinking of switching it back to NTFS since all of my machines are windows.

Last edited:
I have my USB flash drives formatted as EXT2 as there is no extra writing due to journalling and IIRC, NTFS is read only. I like write to my drive in the N66U.

you could try to rename the folders, then create the originals again and copy the files to the new folders?

EXT should work fine, i use EXT4 now.

I can do that fine via Samba / Windows but not through the router GUI. No matter what changes I make to the drive,via Samba, I can do nothing with it in the GUI.

There is something in this release that has this buggered up...

I also had problems accessing my ext3 formatted hard drive after updating from 40 to 41. I could not add new files in the folders and I could not delete any files or even rename existing folders. I only had read access to anything existing. I could however add new folders to the drive using the router UI.

I ended up copying all files from the drive, re-formatting it, then using the router UI to create the music and video folders and then copy all my files back to the drive.

I used to have my drive formatted NTFS but read that ext3 is better (quicker) for the router. I really have found no real file transfer difference between ext3 and NTFS and am thinking of switching it back to NTFS since all of my machines are windows.

Interesting. I have just the opposite issue; Samba works but not the router GUI.

Looks like I may need to do a similar course... reformat the drive (though into EXT4) and then move content back onto it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Using EXT2 I also cannot transfer folders. I have to create them separately and then transfer the content.

Merlin has said that there is no real performance difference between the versions if Linux's EXT file systems IIRC.

I have read EXT3 can be upgraded to EXT4 without loss of files, EXT4 is working fine for me.

NTFS is bad for NAS drives due to fragmentation and the need to put it onto a windows machine to defragment. (my 2 pence)

Tonight will be experiment night. I plan to pull the drive from the router, attach to a Linux box and format to ext4 and then move about 1/2 TB of data back onto it.

I wonder if it makes a difference on how the content gets loaded: via Linux or the router...??

In any case, I'll post my results here,

I just tried formatting my 2TB WD Passport to ext4 and the router would recognize the drive but not mount it. When I check the system log, it says that it "couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)".

Ext3 mounts with no issues.

Last edited:
I just tried formatting my 2TB WD Passport to ext4 and the router would recognize the drive but not mount it. When I check the system log, it says that it "couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)".

Ext3 mounts with no issues.

MiniTools Partition Wizard worked for me m8.

That is exactly what I used to format the drive actually.

Just saying that lostkayaker might want to try mounting the drive before moving all of that data in case it's a giant waste of time. It may be because I have an AC66U though.

Last edited: