What's new

USB - SAMBA performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FarFromSane

New Around Here
I have a new AC-1900 running the latest merlin.
Base functions are fine.

However, I have a 1TB USB attached to it and availability / performance is very erratic.
When it works .. Write speeds are in the the 100KB to 6MB range, read speeds are more reliable.
It doesn't seem reliable .. For example I was copying a set of photos to it .. about 500 files and it died half way thru.. The share hung and I had to reboot the router before things would sort out.
Client is Win10, latest build.

During these times router CPU is maxed out on both cores.

The drive is attached to the USB 3 port

Is this the expected behavior? Does SAMBA drive the high CPU?
I know that USB performance on any of the routers isn't strong... That's OK.. I just need it to be reliable.

Is there a firware that is more suited to sharing ?

Couple of things...

1) a fresh drive attached - let it settle if there's content already on it, esp media files - the DLNA process will do this one time, so it's like chicken pox

2) USB3 is very particular on cables and cable quality... it must be a proper USB3 cable, USB2.0 cables plug into the same slot, but don't have all the connections needed. If you don't know, plug it into the USB2 port, and you might find better performance.

Keep in mind that the processor here is similar to a smartphone from 2011 - iPhone 4S/Samsung Galaxy S3 performance there...

As I copied some torrent-ed files yesterday from the Router to my HomeServer (~70 GB) where I could see that the performance from the router was stable around ~30 MB/Sec - coming from a USB 3.0 2.5" 1 TB drive.

This Samba performance is not great (internally the fschk tool read ~100 MB/Sec), but good enough for me. :rolleyes:

Of course I need to stop the torrent-ing (sharing) to get full performance and my main router is overclocked which gives a bit of boost.

Now, I'd just be happy with consistent availabiity and reliability for the share.
It seems the best plan is to return this to best buy.
It's just not reliable. Could just be my copy.