What's new

Unbound Use unbound/router as default DNS server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
I have unbound installed. There is a setting for "default DNS server" under WAN. I used to put ISP or google, cloudfare etc. But I used "other" and put my router's IP there. I tried 127.0.0.1 but it said it wasn't a valid IP. Do you forsee any problems with this configuration? Bad practice? It seems to work fine when I query. I know if unbound stops working DNS will too, therefore people set external DNS as fallback. Maybe I should as well? Under LAN: DNS Director (global redirection set to router) there are places for User defined DNS. Should I put my router IP there or just leave it blank (copilot says leave it empty)? I just want DNS queries to ALWAYS use unbound. TIA

I added the following to the unbound.conf file. If you're going to do this you have to add in the "server" section
access-control: mysubnet/24 allow #restrict queries to my subnet

FWIW, copilot says this is a valid configuration :)

Last edited:
You should use an external IP for your WAN so the router can get ntp and any other things it needs. It will use that IP for the router only. Leave the LAN IP's blank. All clients will use Unbound.