What's new

Using a mesh system as a wireless access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Knickknack

New Around Here
I want to make sure that I'm thinking this out properly. Let's say that I purchase a two unit mesh system for a 2 story house. I'm thinking of putting the parent node upstairs to act as a router, so that upstairs wireless devices connect to it. This unit will also be used to connect to wired Ethernet in my house.

I'm thinking of placing the child node downstairs so that the downstairs wireless devices will connect to it. I'm connecting the two units by wired backhaul.

Would I just choose "router" in the settings for the upstairs unit and "WAP" for the downstairs unit? How do I make sure that the wireless devices connect to the correct unit? Also, would I connect the downstairs unit to its WAN port?

Why don’t you check the user manual of the “mesh” system you are interested in? Use scenarios and connections are explained there. Different systems have differences in options.

I want to make sure that I'm thinking this out properly. Let's say that I purchase a two unit mesh system for a 2 story house. I'm thinking of putting the parent node upstairs to act as a router, so that upstairs wireless devices connect to it. This unit will also be used to connect to wired Ethernet in my house.

I'm thinking of placing the child node downstairs so that the downstairs wireless devices will connect to it. I'm connecting the two units by wired backhaul.

Would I just choose "router" in the settings for the upstairs unit and "WAP" for the downstairs unit? How do I make sure that the wireless devices connect to the correct unit? Also, would I connect the downstairs unit to its WAN port?
You would only select "router" on your upstairs one if you are planning on replacing your ISP router, or you'll get double NAT.

If keeping your ISP router you choose AP for upstairs and plug the WAN port (or any LAN port dosen't matter) to the LAN port of your existing router.

The downstairs Mesh node, you will join the Mesh using the GUI or the app. In the app you can then select the type of backhaul you want, Wired or wireless. On the ASUS ones this all done for you in AiMesh.

Once a mesh is created the wireless devices select the appropriate device themselves, you don't need to fix it. That's the whole point of mesh, your clients will then seamlesly roam between the two. No need to over think this :).

Last edited:
seamless is a relative term, not an absolute as the client device controls when the switch occurs, if it occurs. You can, and the AP and controller software can try to nudge the client to the better AP, but it is up to the client. Controlling overlap between the RF power plots of the APs is critical.

I was using the term very loosely, I know there is more to it but most home users are not going to go through the trouble of tuning this past creating the mesh in the app.

Handover between mesh nodes would still be much better than having APs sharing the same SSID but a not using 802.11r, v or k.

The downstairs Mesh node, you will join the Mesh using the GUI

This is not valid for all consumer “mesh” sets. Some have no GUI at all, others have no mesh with main router in AP mode, etc. There is no universal settings advice. User Manual - written for non tech savvy users.

Handover between mesh nodes would still be much better than having APs sharing the same SSID

No such thing. AiMesh for example is way behind Omada cluster of APs in roaming. Night and day difference. This consumer “mesh” is mostly marketing. Fancy name repeaters.

This is not valid for all consumer “mesh” sets. Some have no GUI at all, others have no mesh with main router in AP mode, etc. There is no universal settings advice. User Manual - written for non tech savvy users.
Agree.... I did mention ASUS.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!