What's new

Using AC86U for router functions, and newer TP link system for wifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zeromus

New Around Here
Quick question, sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask but wanted to get ideas.

I have an older RT86U, and have a 2 unit mesh tp link deco xe75pro.

The ISP that upgraded me to fibre, installed the modem in the basement, and I have wired network cable (cat5e) from the basement to the main floor.

I was wondering if I could use the Asus router to be my network, so I can avoid using a switch in the basement out of the deco for my home office that's being moved down there now, and then put the decos in AP mode and being the units that provide wireless network on the main and second floors?

I don't need wifi super strong downstairs, but would the older router handling the routing functions make my network slower? Or would would the deco mesh still provide 6ghz speeds and strong wifi on the other two floors just fine?

I don't want to be kneecapping the overall wireless network speed by tethering the units to an older AC86U as router, to get better wireless coverage on the top two floors.

(I didn't grab a three unit deco setup since the open box 2 unit was 300CAD and the new 3 unit was 650CAD. If this matters. The basement plus main floor wired backhaul is sufficient but 2 units top two floors would be better wifi coverage overall)

Thanks for opinions. Happy to just leave the 2 unit setup as is and use a dumb switch for extra Ethernet ports that the mesh units don't provide.

What is the fiber speed? Probably best (unless using Asus-Merlin and addon scripts) to use the newest router/mesh equipment as the main router and relegate the End of Life RT-AC86U to AP or similar mode behind the newer router/mesh setup.

It's 1.5 but realistically not going to ever use the full speed and will use closer to 1. The option for flat 1 fibre is gone for me, they only offer 750mbps or 1.5 for some reason.

Only downside to AP Asus router is that I don't have ethernet headed upstairs, so it would end up moreso as a repeater and probably not that worth it at that point. Right?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!