What's new

Using an AP as the DHCP Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cousinjerry

New Around Here
I have a DIR-825 router set up as an AP. I don't like the interface and IP reservations of the cheap router I'm using as the DHCP server.

Is it possible to disable the DHCP server in the router and enable it on the AP?

If it matters, I've got the AP connected to the network through an 8-port switch but I also have my VoIP ATA attached directly to the router.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sure. Just leave the DHCP server active on the DIR-825 and make sure you shut off any other DHCP servers on the LAN. The DIR-825 will still connect to the LAN via a LAN port.

You will, however, need to enter DNS and gateway information in the DHCP server because it won't be able to grab it automatically from its WAN connection. You should just be able to enter the IP address of the main ("cheap") router for both.

Well I tried this last night without success.

I see the option to change the Primary DNS Server. It was set to 0.0.0.0 and I set it to the main routers IP (192.168.1.1).

I was able to connect to the network but not the internet. I'm guessing that was because I wasn't able to change the gateway address to the main router like you suggested. Problem is I couldn't find the option to change this.

Here is the simulator if it helps anyone:

http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dir825_revB/202NA/lan.html

Thanks.

Go to the Internet Setup, choose Static IP and enter the DNS and gateway info there.

Still no luck.

If my main router is 192.168.1.1 and my AP is 192.168.1.3, when I run ipconfig on a computer that is connected to the AP, what should the default gateway be?

When the main router is acting as the DHCP server the gateway is 192.168.1.1 but when I am running the DHCP server from the AP the default gateway is 192.168.1.3. I have a feeling that's why the internet isn't working.

In the internet setup of the AP do I need to enter an IP address?

get a wired router on the cheap that has a good UI and DHCP.
Connect the AP to it with the AP's DHCP disabled if it has such.

Toss the crummy WiFi router.

Still no luck.

If my main router is 192.168.1.1 and my AP is 192.168.1.3, when I run ipconfig on a computer that is connected to the AP, what should the default gateway be?

When the main router is acting as the DHCP server the gateway is 192.168.1.1 but when I am running the DHCP server from the AP the default gateway is 192.168.1.3. I have a feeling that's why the internet isn't working.

In the internet setup of the AP do I need to enter an IP address?
The router that is connecting you to the Internet needs to be handed out by the DHCP server. In your case, this is 192.168.1.1.

If you can't get the "AP" to do this, then you can't use it as a DHCP server.

One subnet.
One DHCP server.

Multiple subnets: you need static routing tables, etc.

Not a good idea to have DHCP in APs.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!