What's new

Using Asus N66u with sky hub

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdiddy

New Around Here
Hi, I'm new here (so go easy please :)) and although not completely incompetent when it comes to computers I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to networks.

I'm trying to set up an old sky hub router to act as a wireless booster/repeater in my house. I currently have a VM connection via a modem into my N66u asus router. I effectively want to piggy back the wireless signal that the N66u is generating.

I've been going around in circles online to try to do this and followed multiple guides. I've tried disabling dhcp on the sky hub and created a dedicated IP address for it on the asus and can't even connect it to via a wired connection, let alone wireless. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

I did have what you currently have, ie, Virgin Media superdud in modem only mode with an N66, i swapped the N66 for an AC68, a nice upgrade, then i put the N66 into wireless repeater mode, N66 repeating the 5ghz from the AC68. It was very easy to do.
I have Merlins firmware on both routers (380.62), previously i had a very old version of Merlins on the N66, that firmware didn't have the wireless repeater mode.

Paul.

@pdiddy Perhaps it's better to ask your question in a Sky forum as your issue is with the Sky hub and not the Asus.

I was a Sky ADSL customer in the past when they were using netgear hardware, but they've used lots of different hardware since then. You don't say what hardware you have. IIRC the hardware I had didn't have the ability to act as a "repeater", or did you really mean to say "wireless access point"?

EDIT: I found some instructions here for turning a sky hub into a wireless access point. Note that the default IP range for the Asus is 192.168.1.x whereas it is 192.168.0.x for the sky hub, so make sure you are using the correct range for your particular setup.

Last edited: