What's new

Velop mesh vs. velop as bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eddie Leung

New Around Here
hello. This is my first post from sunny singapore. I’m currently in 4 floor house on a ancient 100mbps cable connection with the following config:

Modem->velop master (with 4 node mesh)+ ac68u connected to ethernet port on the velop master. The router supports alexa, Philips hue wired and PS4/smart TV on wifi. Velop supports general surfing, Netflix etc. The network coverage and performance is 5/10.

I’m going to a new house (also 4 storey, but a fiber connection). I’m thinking of having the following config:

Fiber access point -> ac68u -> velop 4 more setup in bridge mode.

I had a few questions:

1) is this the best step forward for a reliable connection throughout? Not a gamer, but need decent streaming capability.

2) in the new house will I benefit from getting a new router like ac88u or Linksys 9500? Or ac5300?

Thanks

Since your wireless is coming from your Velop mesh, not your router, don't bother to buy a router that has great wireless *smile*. For example, I have fiber internet where the ONT is connected to a fiber gateway. I've turned off the fiber gateway wireless (of course), and put the gateway into "IP Passthrough" mode, only connected to an eero mesh router. That's like having the fiber gateway in bridge mode...and have only my eero mesh router plugged into that. The eero is in full router mode, as well as providing mesh wireless.

So what I'm saying here is that since you already have the Velop for wireless, and if you put the Velop into bridge/AP mode, then I would be looking for a security-oriented edge router to connect the Velop to. Not a wireless router where you pay a premium to get wireless features you won't be using. Unless you choose to use the Velop in router mode, then you'll get all the router features of the Velop and won't need another router at all...don't know how good the router features are on the Velop, but the eero has some nice router features, including "eero Plus", that provides add and malware blocking.

Oh, *smile*, I see that this is from September of last year, so you've most likely already done whatever you do. I guess this response is more for reference, then.