What's new

Vista file copy problem after SP1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi all,

Just been transferring some large movie files from two wired computers on vista, one is my pc the other is my laptop.

It would appear that once the file has finished copying to the machine, at the point where it is copying the file as finsihed i get an error message saying;

Cannot read from the source file or disk, the transfer bar goes red and it doesnt work ?

Any ideas ?

Hi all,

Just been transferring some large movie files from two wired computers on vista, one is my pc the other is my laptop.

It would appear that once the file has finished copying to the machine, at the point where it is copying the file as finsihed i get an error message saying;

Cannot read from the source file or disk, the transfer bar goes red and it doesnt work ?

Any ideas ?

That means either you don't have enough space on end point Or you havefile transfer issue on the transfer PC. Check the network connection. Make sure it set to Full Duplex on both ends. Sometimes these files in MP2, MP4, (MP5) are corrupt. Make sure the file plays on the first PC.

Are you using router/switch or external switch? Check all your connections. Scan for virus/malware/adware/spyware on the source PC and the end port.

Dredging up an old post here but i am still having this problem,

After moving quite a few files on there own to my NAS drive now today when putting another 1TB drive in i formatted the wrong drive :eek: Hence losing about 34GB that i had already transferred, i would normally do this on a 1 by 1 basis but now i have quite a bit to move back over so i started some moving.

The PC copied one 10GB file over but when it got to the second it says cannot read for source or disk, the usual error. Before when it would error it was from my Laptop to my PC, now it is from my PC to my NAS.

Everything was on Autosense but i have changed it now to 1000 full duplex on the NAS and the PC network card and i'll try again.

Is it just my PC that is the problem or Vista, I will try my other Network card as the PC has two Gigabit cards built in.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!