What's new

VLAN Tagging + Gigabit Performance + 200/100 Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmontanola

New Around Here
Hi there guys,

I'm doing some research to find an alternative to my router. I live in Brazil and most ISPs provide us a terrible router for "free". In my case it is a SAGEMCOM F@ST 5340.

Some points:

*I live with 4 friends and we share a 200/100 fiber connection.
*Most of the heavy load is done through wired gigabit connection (P2P, Streaming, Games) and the wireless usage is all about light browsing.
*There is a need for VLAN tagging since I want to connect the ONT directly to the router (no IPTV though).
*My price roof is ~150USD and I have no previous experiences with mid/high-end routers so I don't have any reference.

Any ideas or knowledge you guys could share with me?

Thanks in advance :)

is VLAN tagging required for internet or for tv? If it is required for internet than only some consumer routers will work with it.

non consumer routers support vlan tagging in any way you want.

is VLAN tagging required for internet or for tv? If it is required for internet than only some consumer routers will work with it.

non consumer routers support vlan tagging in any way you want.

Internet ONLY

Ac66u
R6200 and R7000

They can do the job, right? Any feedback about the models?

OpenWRT should be capable, you might want to check tomato as well. I've used OpenWRT and i like the interface configuration GUI and it would support vlan tagging done on the CPU. Dual core ARM routers are needed as they would get your WAN speed in performance doing vlan tagging as it means no hardware acceleration.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!