What's new

VPN and connection troubles on RT-AC66R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woogie

New Around Here
I have an unlimited data plan and use my cellular connection for my home internet. My phone is an HTC One M7. The built-in WiFi hotspot works fine, but the number of connections is limited to 5 so I found myself juggling devices all the time.

Devices:

Wireless inkjet all-in-one
Color laser printer (Ethernet/USB only)
Windows 7 desktop
Windows 8 laptop
Xbox 360
Roku 3

The router is running the latest official firmware release. The laser printer and desktop are connected via ethernet cable. The Roku 3 and laptop are on the 5 GHz network, and the 360 is on the 2.4. I've ordered a longer cable to switch the Roku to ethernet, but it hasn't arrived yet. There are two problems at the moment.

I have PrivateInternetAccess for a VPN and am using their client software. On the desktop it's working fine. On the laptop, the connection will work for a few minutes or around 40MB, then it just chokes. The VPN says it's connected, but no traffic goes in or out to the Internet. I can ping other devices on the network, but pinging an outside computer by name or IP always gets "request timed out". I've even had it cut off in the middle of running an Ookla speed test. Disconnect the VPN and it works instantly. If it makes any difference, Ipv6 is disabled on the laptop's wireless adapter due to previous connection problems with the VPN. The VPN connection type is TCP and the remote port is 443. I don't think it's a problem with the laptop, because it works A-OK when connected through the One's built-in hotspot.

The other problem is with loading web pages. I'm using Firefox 31.0 on both desktop and laptop. I haven't noticed the problem on the desktop, but I do almost all my browsing on the laptop. I have tried both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz network with the same results. About 10% of the time when I open a page it will either fail to load or never finish loading. The little circle in the address bar goes around endlessly until I refresh. Again, this doesn't happen on the phone's built-in hotspot.

The router used to work fine when the phone was on Android 4.2, but it's been in storage for several months because tethering stopped working when I updated the One to 4.3. Now the phone is on 4.4 with a custom ROM.

Are there any ways to fix these problems using the router's official firmware? I'm leery about installing other firmware because for some reason the router will not do firmware updates through the web GUI. It says it's uploading the file and there's a progress bar but when it reboots it still shows the old version. I have to use rescue mode and the firmware recovery tool every time. I'm worried if I brick it I won't be able to get it back.

Please help so I can get my network running like it should!

Last edited: