What's new

VPN for Airport Express

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LaFemme69

Regular Contributor
I hope I am not hijacking this thread. I have a question about the Airport Express but don't know where to post it.

currently, I am using my airport express as an AP to listen to music on my stereo system and extend internet to my digital media player (UEBO m400) to watch internet contents like youtube, online TVs.....

One step further, I'm from Canada and wish to be able to watch US contents such as Netflix, hulu, pandora..... and I heard the way to go is by getting a US IP address through subscribing to a VPN service.

I have an asus rt-n66u router but I don't want to configure that because I don't want all the devices to connect to VPN. Unfortunately VPN cannot be configured on the router to a specific device, all or nothing.

so my question is, will I be able to configure my VPN service on my airport express and how? I've been told that I can through Airport Utility but I don't know how and my friend 'Google' couldn't help me either.

thanx.

katie.

If you don't terminate the VPN tunnel at the router, then it has to be terminated at the client. This requires that the client have a VPN client for the type of VPN you are using (PPTP, iPsec).

I don't know of solutions for either the AirPort Express or UEBO 400.

I do believe that Tim is correct, but as I have a new Airport Express at home, I will look at it tonight or tomorrow to see what I can find out for you.

But again, my hunch is that Tim is correct and that the Airport Express or Extreme cannot initiate VPN tunnels.

The Airport family of products (Airport Express/Extreme/Time Capsule) do not initiate or host VPN connections directly.

They do allow for most VPN pass-through, so initiating a VPN session via a desktop client isn't an issue.

The Airport family of products (Airport Express/Extreme/Time Capsule) do not initiate or host VPN connections directly.

They do allow for most VPN pass-through, so initiating a VPN session via a desktop client isn't an issue.

This is correct.

I looked this weekend at my Express 2012 model and it has nothing to implement a VPN tunnel. Neither does my Extreme from 2008 or 2009.