What's new

VPN Newbie...whats needed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sasquatch

New Around Here
Ok, I'm a newbie to VPN. I understand that this allows a secure connection to my LAN or PC remotely.

Here's what I'm looking to do. While on the road in a hotel, be able to connect to my machine at work or at home over a VPN connection.

What do I need to buy?
I assume, I need to enable something in my routers to allow this type of connection? And is it secure?

Thanks for helping a novice.

You need a router at home that supports VPN connections to it.
Preferred is a static IP account from your ISP, but it can also work OK if you have a dynamic DNS service too.

However...over recent years there are much easier methods to allow you to securely connect to your PC(s) at home...I've been using Windows MESH. There are other similar remote desktop services you may have heard of, LogMeIn, or GoToMyPC to name a couple. No need to worry about VPN, what IP you have, firewall stuff, etc.