What's new

VPN Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giraffe

Occasional Visitor
New user to the N66U. I've setup a VPN, primarily with the goal of connecting to media I have stored on a drive connected via USB, when I'm on the road. Was hoping to be able to pull in media either via Samba or even DLNA. I'm an Apple user, so I'd be connecting via iPad or iPhone on the road. Done some searching here, but hit a wall...here's some tidbits:

1. After searching, I adjusted the scope for my VPN to 192.168.1.* so I wouldn't have to do any routing issues. Still no dice.

2. iOS Apps: I am able to connect in and see the SMB share via an app like viPlay, but when I navigate to the file and select nothing never opens. In an app like SamsungTV I cannot see the DLNA server at all. Finally, in AiCloud it is unable to even see the router. All of these functions work fine if I disable the VPN and get on via wifi.

3. Digging a bit more it seems like my issue might be with TAP and inability to set this with PPTP? I updated to Merlin's custom 246 with OpenVPN, but in exploring that more it seems like iOS devices cannot connect to this without jailbreak.

Am I overlooking something or is this not-functioning due to limitations within the Apple iOS endpoints?